SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, ive got a problem with my coils. The camber plates are not 90 degrees towards the car body. They are slightly wrong, both to the same direction. Anyone here got bc racing coils so we could compare? Ill attach some pics so you can see the problem. Pics are taken on a straight angle from the front of the car. I also have a bad clunking sound from the left front corner. Everything is tight and preload is adjusted..
The texts on the pic are in finnish, they mean:
Apukuskinpuoli=passenger side and kuskinpuoli=driver side

http://imgur.com/SHDZBBG

Also, we had to adjust the passengerside camber almost to the max plus, so the aligment would be right. Somethings wrong here..

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
My opinion based on knowledge working on these units are they are cheap crap. BC and D2 and the rest all made by the same bandits cheap stuff with inferior seals etc

That said.

The alignment machine dictates the position of the camber plate to provide the correct alignment specifications.

You must be sure the coil overs are correctly made, the ride height is set correctly, and most importantly, the springs are preloaded at least .25 inches at the desired ride height. Make sure the spring perches are double locked.

The bottom housing that is bolted to the knuckle is threaded into the coil over strut. The distance it is threaded in, sets the ride height, NOT the spring perch.

But the two holes in the bottom housing are larger than the oem mounting bolts so it is possible when installing the coil over to the knuckle, to misalign the bottom housing, with the result you see at the top. Make sure the bottom housing where it mounts to the knuckle is in the same relative location to the knuckle on both sides.

I suspect its not.

this picture of a similar set up with HSD coil overs shows what I am talking about My photobucket editing skills are not great

Good luck let us know if this helps.

PS in 1979 I had the pleasure of working with Rauno August Aaltonen in Germany on a BMW course. Rauno signed my certificate. He is my hero/ Finland's rally drivers are the best!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha finland really is the country of rally drivers! :D
And the coils are installed correctly. Preload is correct and not used to lower the car. All is tight. The only thing im not sure about are the two strut bottom bolts you talked about, ive got a feeling the upper hole is not round, its oval shaped so that would explain the camber being different. But the ride quality actually is pretty good on these coils(not as good as the öhlins on my ex lancer evo 6) but pretty good. Im getting replacement pillowball bearings, im pretty sure the clunking sound is just bad bearings because when i wetted the other pillowball with wd40 it made it a lot more silent for a while. I certanly hope so :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.