SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1998 9-3 2ltr petrol with 150K miles on the clock. What sort of expenditure can I expect over the coming year or two in terms of maintenance? So far it has a full service history, with a cambelt change at 70K miles or thereabouts. I think the clutch is on its way out.

I really like the car and want to stick with the 9-3, but I am not sure if I would be better off selling this and buyng a newer model (<5 years old). I am assuming a valuation on my car of GBP1500 - 2000 max.

Many thanks,

Calvin

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi Calvin,

You may wish to post this in the NG900 & 9-3 Forum to get some good responses from people who have high mileage 900/9-3s. But from my own experience of owning a 160k mile 900 and a 155k 9-3, quite a lot of the parts that do go seem to go at the 100 - 120k miles age, so you could be through the cost/pain barrier.
It really comes down to how well the car has been maintained previously and if it got regular oil changes etc.
Do you have a services history book / know what parts have been replaced to date?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, the parts changed to date are all standard sevice items plus wear and tear consumables - tyres, new brake parts, etc. I have covered 60K miles in three years and it has not let me down once.

I do have a recurring problem with the "key not recognised" warning. This has become more frequent until it now happens probably 50% of the time. Any ideas on this? I know how to get around the immobilisation as per the manual, but it is a bit of a drag.

Thanks,

Calvin

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
calvinhutt said:
Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, the parts changed to date are all standard sevice items plus wear and tear consumables - tyres, new brake parts, etc. I have covered 60K miles in three years and it has not let me down once.
All I can say is this does not sound like a car to give up on. :cheesy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Costs of running?

Do you have history on your car? ie: belt replacement? It would be wise to checking if the di casette has been repalced or the belt or chain replaced. What type of oil are you using should be considered too. How does the engine sound and run? Common sense prevails when your looking at a car that's done 150K. I think what you have to consider is : Is it worthwile selling it now? What kind of price would you get? Or, should you get better value owning it till it dies! If it's a rattler you need to make sure you not throwing money at a dog car! Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts