SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i finally did it , ordered a new top from aro 2000 ( sonnendecke with dobby backing ) from the US of A ( the aussie dollar is very favorably stacked against the ol grreens ) anyway i was very woried about how hard it was going to be to fit the new top i really thought it was going to be bear of a job
but to my surprise it was actually quite easy to do provided you follow the instructions from townsends website and also some postings from this site
make sure you have the right tools and glue and sealants as per instructions ( definatelly get a electric or air stapling gun )

it took me about 7 hours to do and about 2 hours to prepare the rusted/ coroded parts of the frame ( i left the rear curtain and glass as it was still ok only reglued the part where the glas joins the rear curtain ( lower area) with urethane and i painted that curtain part black it almost matches the new top.
i'll let it settle in for a few days now then i'll ust strips of the old fabric as support in the rear part where bow 3 and 4 are located , then i'll fit the inner liner ( took me bout 1/2 hour last time i did it 3 years ago when a hail storm tore the top and needed to be patched )

thanks for reading i hope i have encouraged some fellow saabers to do it to theirs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi there, thanks for the comments. Its given me inspiration to go out and order a new top for my convertible. What was the cost of the new top and did you order the stayfast top? Any other tricks you picked up when installing would be great to know. Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
do a search on ebay >>>> puttcam <<<<< or >>>>> perfect fit convertible tops <<<<<i used the sonnendecke haartz fabric which is as good as the original , i am not sure if i am allowed to post links here so if a mod could confirm this , that would be great
470 incl shipping , no tips other than just follow the instructions explicitly
cheers
stef

1 - 3 of 3 Posts