SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with the shifter on my 93 900S 5 speed. The shifter has always been a little tough in reverse, but here lately it had gotten tougher. Right now I can put it in reverse and get the key out but it goes nowhere. Also both 1st and 2nd got tougher to get in and now they are non existent so I essentially seem to have a 3 speed. 3rd, 4th, and I think 5th, it happened in an area where I couldn't get up enough speed to try 5th. Any ideas?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey, I have a 93 900S and live in VA. I'm in the Alexandria portion of Fairfax County. Where are you?

I haven't experienced your exact problem but from what I've read here, it's probably the rubber shift coupler bolted to the transmission. The rubber breaks making it difficult to shift. I could also be a broken engine mount. If it's not those, it's probably internal to the MT and you'll have to get advice from those more experienced than me in digging into the gearing.

I've repaired a lot of other items on my 900S and am happy to help where I can. Have your brake lights failed yet? I had the welds in my shift stick break - the knob and shaft broke just above the ball. Lots of other stuff too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks

i live on the Eastern Shore of VA in a place called Greenbackville which is close to Chincoteague. I went out and looked at the car this evening and you were right the coupler has broken loose from the shaft on the tranny. i tye wrapped it back together for the time being and it works like a charm. Actually, I can tell that it must have been slowly tearing off little by little as it is very tight now and shifts great. I have had a few issues with the car like the fuel pump stopped (which was a corroded pump connection in the tank). The fuel sending unit has quit working and my ABS light and SRS light stay on and I have a check engine light which is intermittent, but for a car that has been sitting for almost a year and has over 170,000 miles, I can't complain.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i live on the Eastern Shore of VA in a place called Greenbackville which is close to Chincoteague. I went out and looked at the car this evening and you were right the coupler has broken loose from the shaft on the tranny. i tye wrapped it back together for the time being and it works like a charm. Actually, I can tell that it must have been slowly tearing off little by little as it is very tight now and shifts great. I have had a few issues with the car like the fuel pump stopped (which was a corroded pump connection in the tank). The fuel sending unit has quit working and my ABS light and SRS light stay on and I have a check engine light which is intermittent, but for a car that has been sitting for almost a year and has over 170,000 miles, I can't complain.
I'm glad the shifter problem was something simple. New couplers are cheap if you want to do a full repair.

I haven't had the other problems you've mentioned but the list of stuff I've fixed and replaced is large. I refuse to add up what I've spent because I would likely have been better buying new. I've only got two small issues right now - the turn signal stalk won't latch on right hand turns and I can't shut the rear drivers-side window from the central switch pack. For 190K+ miles, I can't complain. Of late, I've had pretty good luck getting new parts off ebay for about 1/3 the price of new from the usual internet providers. If you need stuff, recommend you check there first.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My check engine light stopped staying on after I replaced some spongy vacuum hoses. Cold started better and ran better, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts