SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys getting some leaks in my vert, the bottom passenger corner of the rear window has separated from the canvas. managed to repair the rip with some stitching but theres still a small hole where the window meets the canvas, any reccomendations on how to seal this for cheap without replacing the whole window?

my main question is whether or not the fabric portion of the rear window on the exterior is supposed to be glued to the glass?? water is getting under this part and leaking through the torn hole underneath. i have two adhesives to chose from if so. here are some photos

D1ED9461-A7E0-4B67-B9F9-6CD2D52A0568.jpeg
276A88EE-B803-4F09-96F8-18B08226205A.jpeg

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
This definitely happens. I was successful repairing on many cars with a product called Goop, I am sure another adhesive would work but I couldn't tell you which. If it bonds to glass you're probably fine... most anything will stick to the canvas.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm gonna just throw this out there in case you get to the point I did with your rear window.
When I acquired my 1990, the bonding seam on the rear window had let go about 1/2 way around.
After several attempts of bonding with various adhesives I gave up and decided to just replace it;however the top section of the top was in surprisingly good condition and was the expensive german replacement. What i found was the top is actually made in 2 pieces - the main top and the rear glass section. The PO had apparently had the main top replaced but decided to let the original rear section remain same.
So i purchased one of these from ebay and did it myself.
Top rear section
It was really not to difficult. I did have to buy a pneumatic air stapler though and i believe a got a set of instructions off the townsend website. You only have to lift the rear section of the top up to the 4th cross member. I had it done in few hours and it looks perfect. Will send some pics if you like.
Ok, i'm done :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive considered swapping the rear window section of the top but it looked a little too involved. a shop wanted 800$ for a new back section installed so i held off. id be interested to see some pictures and if you could tell me more about what it entails? thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
ive considered swapping the rear window section of the top but it looked a little too involved. a shop wanted 800$ for a new back section installed so i held off. id be interested to see some pictures and if you could tell me more about what it entails? thanks!
You have to remove the whale tail side moldings and the aluminum strip across bottom of rear window (you can see it in my pics below with all the philips head screws).
To remove the side moldings you access the rear hold downs from little slits in the side trunk carpets. You will find a small wing nut at the end of a tube. I think i had to remove the back seat side panels to get to the nuts holding down the front portion of the side moldings. The instruction say to remove the molding on the truck lid but i got away without doing that. You also have to remove the decorative strip across the last cross member - You basically have to unstaple the entire rear portions of the top including along the last crossmember. The window section is held underneath the Main top. Of course you will also remove this. I used the old window section to measure out on the new window section were i was going to staple during the install. You will also use the old one to trim the new one with sheers.
There is really not a lot more to it than this. Just make sure you know where the rear window is going to end up in relation to the top section
Now truth be told, i have installed a complete top before on my daughters 2001 mustang. Afterwards, i swore i would never own a convertible....and here we are.

Read over the townsend instructions a few times to get familiar.

Let us know if you take this route. I will try to help if i can.

2 must have tools you must have

You will also need stainless steel t-50 staples. I think i had 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 staples on hand.
The staple puller is a must plus some pliers.

Find the Townsend Top replacement steps here:
GO to Rear screen replacement steps

Some pics i took while doing my intall. I took these for reasons other than showing how to do this so.....
Now i wish i had taken pics during all steps.
The hole you see is for the molding rear hold down.

The following were pics i took when i broke the hold down for the side moldings. I think i had to re-solder the bolt portion to fix it. You access these wing nuts from inside the trunk. There is a little opening in the side carpets.

What it looks like today

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info!! im mechanically inclined but im not sure of my upholstery skills. i think the only thing im worried about is getting the new cloth stapled and trimmed in the right spots. i made an attempt at gluing the rip today so if that doesn't do much then i might give replacement a shot. the staple size info you gave me will come in handy thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts