SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed about 2 cups of leaking anti freeze directly on the ground under the radiator yesterday. No steam,no visible leaks directly from any hoses,radiator or water pump area. Drove home{25 miles} about 4 hours later and not a drop on the ground this morning? Any ideas? Ps where is the radiator cap on this car??? I dont see one..maybe im blind

·
Registered
424 Posts
The cap is on the coolant recovery tank, which is a plastic pressure tank just outboard of the brake fluid reservoir on the driver's side (US) of the car. Probably has a yellow cap.

Suggest you try a pressure test on the cooling system--the leak will then likely show itself. Most decent shops have a pressure tester with an adapter to fit the top of the tank. Pray for a dodgy lower hose connection.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im hoping for the same thing-whats your opinion of those bars leaks kind of things if its radiator related? Can those pelets be put into the coolant resevoir thing that you just described?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd avoid that nasty stuff if at all possible.

It coats your entire cooling system, and makes a big mess. If your car has a water cooled turbo, you particularly do not want that stuff in the water jacket.

Find the leak with a pressure test and fix.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Gabby said:
I'd avoid that nasty stuff if at all possible.
Seconded...

It just masks problems until they're unavoidable, then you find that there's fourteen others you don't know about...

When I got mine a couple of months ago, it didn't use coolant, but it had been RadWelded/BarsLeaksed.
I had to replace the injection temp sensor, so the coolant got drained, washed through, then refilled.
Then the little elbow hose split. So the coolant got refilled.
Then I decided the top hose didn't look great. So the coolant got refilled.
Then the water pump started pissing out everywhere. So the coolant got drained and refilled.

By now, the header tank's stopped looking very orange from the goop, but still has a hint of orange in it.

There's still a slight leak from somewhere...

If I see anybody heading for a car wielding a bottle of BarsLeaks, and they refuse to listen to reason, I will gladly stop THEM leaking with the bottle...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts