SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, you read that right. I have a customer at my parts store that claims he owns a 1992 900 with a 2.3. I've seen the car once, but didn't look under the hood. The story about the car is I believe his brother had the car brought over from Europe, where it was bought new. Anyone else think he may have a 2.1 with a 2.3 valve cover or something like that? Seems kinda strange to me, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Must be 2,1, the 2,3 crank will smack the gearbox.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've seen a c900 with a 2.3... in my dreams.... :eek:

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
You can put a 2.3 head on the block but that's as close as you'll get. Not only will the crank whack the gearbox but the intake would burst through the bonnet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am clearing out some of my extra parts bin on ebay...Someone just sent me a question wanting to know if the AMM I have listed for a 2.1 would work for a '92 900 with a 2.3....odd conincidence...

I told him to verify the part numbers and get back with me....do the NG 900's have the 2.3?...maybe this guy is confused to which Saab he really has.:eek:

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I think the 9000 had the 2.3 didn't it?

Late classic 900's had the 2.1

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
more flow and a lower compression ratio so you can go to town with boost

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Really? I thought 2,3 head and 2,1 head were same.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
supremedalek said:
benefits of having a 2.3 head in a 2.1 block?
sorry i read too fast, yes the 2.3 wouldnt make much if any difference. i thought we were refering to a 2.3 head on a 2.0 block.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
supremedalek said:
Ok, I am getting confused. My 88 convertible, did it come with a 2.0 or a 2.1L? And, how do I identify either one?
I believe all 2.1's had the LH 2.4.2 FI system, and were only on N/A 900's from 1991 and later. So, yours is a 2.0....

In any case, if it has a turbo on it, it is a 2.0. No 900s were made with a B212 turbo.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
but how to easy tell if it`s 2,0 or 2,1 l motor besides the turbo case? I believe block and head are identical from outside both for 2,0 and 2,1 l ...
I haven`t seen thogh 2,1 intake manifold that is larger than regular 2,0 ...

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
on vehicle document that you get from seller(all cars registered in uk have one)it will tell you the vin nbr and the engine size, last owner, how many have owned etc,etc, and if it has been altered(up/ or down grade) engine/and or gbox change it should be on the document eg 1984cc = 2.0, sorry no idea what cc a 2.1 is

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
16saabs said:
on vehicle document that you get from seller(all cars registered in uk have one)it will tell you the vin nbr and the engine size, last owner, how many have owned etc,etc, and if it has been altered(up/ or down grade) engine/and or gbox change it should be on the document eg 1984cc = 2.0, sorry no idea what cc a 2.1 is
Well, that much I could figure out myself ... the Q is how to tell just by looking at the engine bay if it`s 2,0 or 2,1 l ...

Are there any other visible distinctive elements apart from the bigger intake manifold?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The air cleaner box is a completely different shape between 2.1 and 2.0 (2.0 is round, 2.1 is more squat).

2.1 has a 3-wire AIC valve plug, 2.0 LH 2.4 is 2-wire (2.0 LH 2.2 is 3 wire though).

Easiest way is to look at the sticker on fenderwell, it will say 2.0 or 2.1 ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
900t said:
The air cleaner box is a completely different shape between 2.1 and 2.0 (2.0 is round, 2.1 is more squat).

2.1 has a 3-wire AIC valve plug, 2.0 LH 2.4 is 2-wire (2.0 LH 2.2 is 3 wire though).
Check. I just thought it was because that is the way the LH 2.4s would be. I did not know it was 2.4.2.

900t said:
Easiest way is to look at the sticker on fenderwell, it will say 2.0 or 2.1 ;)
And that assumes I can read. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ok, let's rewind and start again. Based on what I read in this thread,
  • The 2.1 head is the same as the 2.3 head. If that is the case, the original poster's question means during the car's life someone replaced the head because it is a drop-in replacement.
  • The 2.1 head sure looks like the 2.0 one. But you can identify it because it has LH2.4.2 , a 3 wire idle control valve (AIC), and th esticker in the fenderwell should say it is 2.1. Still, at a first glance, it really looks like a 2.0 head (picture of a 92 900s):
  • NG900 had the 2.3 engine on occasion. I know that for sure because I saw one:
  • The 2.0 head (like in my 800 turbo) is not the same as the 2.1/2.3 head.
  • The 2.1/2.3 head can work with the 2.0 block with some modifications to the intake/exhaust ports.
Is what I wrote above accurate?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts