SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel pretty confident about the mechanical issues, however, there are two other sticking points which are minor cosmetic issues.

1. the convertible top has broken bolt on the left side, which has allowed a support bar to slip forward. The top needs help when raising and lowering and it does not properly seat into it's storage place.

2. the dash has some deep cracks in it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
David Hoover said:
I feel pretty confident about the mechanical issues, however, there are two other sticking points which are minor cosmetic issues.

1. the convertible top has broken bolt on the left side, which has allowed a support bar to slip forward. The top needs help when raising and lowering and it does not properly seat into it's storage place.

2. the dash has some deep cracks in it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Hi David,

I can't help with the convertible top since none of my c900's are vert's, but as for the dash cracking, replacing the dash is not too difficult but there is a fair amount of prep work needed to move things out of the way first.

The main padded dash is held in place by four screws - one accessible through each of the speaker/vent holes in the top of the dash, and two under the dash on the passenger side (for RHD cars) or drivers side (for LHD cars).

The lower valance (aka knee bolster, etc.) needs to come out of the car, along with the steering wheel, the whole dash fascia (with all the controls, etc.) also. Most of the work is centred around disconnecting all the wiring, etc. from the back of the dash fascia to make sure all the wires are labelled for later re-assembly, and also the heater control rod need to be disconnected plus the vacuum control switch has all the small bore vacuum hoses terminated on a soft rubber 'manifold' that clips to the back of the main climate control switch.

There are a few wires connected to the switch and light for the storage compartment in the dash.

Finding an uncracked dash at a good price might not be easy as they're beginning to become scarce. I've never priced a brand new one (I bet Saab still has them) though.

Craig.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts