SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My first post here. I picked up a dead '92 900 convertible. Great car! So far I've put in a clutch master cyl, new battery, new top. Impressed with the build and design, to say the least. I'm hoping for help with a peculiar battery drain issue. If I leave the car sit for 10-12 days, the (new Optima) battery loses charge. With the ign off, doors closed, all loads off I test between negative battery post and ground strap. I get a reading of 4-5 amps, which drops to 1.5 over 10 seconds or so, extremely reproducibly. The meter "pulses," a little like there's a flasher working, but the current change is only 2 mamps with each pulse. With the batt connected I tested loads across all the fuseholders, and got pulsing at some of the fuses, and some current leakage (clock, lights), but pulling fuses sequentially didn't reduce my 1.5 amp parasitic load. Today I pulled the wire from the ign switch to the connector block on the Rt fenderwell, and the draw went away. The draw is present with the switch off and the key out.
I was hoping to get a suggestion of where to look next, keeping in mind that high initial then dropping draw. Thanks in advance for your ideas, David

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
You're reading the interior light timer which is tied to the alarm.
Disconnect the alarm module, pull fuse #28 and test again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SPG electrical problem

Thanks for the answer. Pulling # 28 fuse alone makes no difference. I am struggling to get out the rear seat, but haven't brought out my Big Guns (plastic levers and wedges)yet. So the timer will show up in my test, even tho the lights are off? Thanks again, David

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Thanks for the answer. Pulling # 28 fuse alone makes no difference. I am struggling to get out the rear seat, but haven't brought out my Big Guns (plastic levers and wedges)yet. So the timer will show up in my test, even tho the lights are off? Thanks again, David
It often is very tight and you have to lever it up. It is held in place by spring clips

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Yah - I've seen them rusted in place from time to time. CAREFUL use of a prybar or long, long screwdriver is sometimes called for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SPG electrical problem

OK - pulled the seat. Disconnecting the #4 fuse or pulling the yellow interior light/central locking relay reduces the current drop to a satisfactory 2 milliamps. Does this mean the relay is bad? If yes, is there a FLAPS substitute?(relay NLA sez Europarts). Final question is: I still get a definite pulse on my 2 milliamp parasitic drwer. Like there's leakage thru a flasher. Which doesn't make much sense (flashers don't flash unless they're energized, right?)
Sure appreciate the help, so does my battery! David

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I've had lock modules fail in that way frequently. I would consider unplugging the alarm module to be sure it isn't causing the behavior, but it's probably the module.

I got sick and tired of hunting for junkyard replacements, so rolled my own. The first post on this page has the details:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656793&page=2

It's been in my SPG for two years now, zero issues. Also there's details on updating to a modern alarm in that thread, if you're interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts