SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you....

Our 98 900se turbo is stalling occasionally, usually when sitting at a traffic light, but for the really weird part - it's definitely is a lot worse right after filling up with gas.

Any ideas on what's causing this? No other problems noted, car runs great otherwise...... Seems like it starts harder with a cold engine, but I figured this was age and mileage (108,000).

Thanks....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If worse right after filling up with gas, the fuel tank might not be venting correctly, so a vacuum builds in the tank, and the fuel pump can't overcome it. If that's the case, you can test it just by putting the gas cap on very loosely for a couple days (you may get a CEL because the ECU will detect the loose gas cap as a fuel tank leak, so don't do it before you take the car in for an emissions check... :cheesy: )

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I believe that the "age and mileage" should cause even easier starting, providing that the DI and fuel pump are still up to snuff.

I have never used a stopwatch on mine; it seems to start after 3 to 5 seconds... with 145K on the clock...
If the car only stalls/hard to start with a 99.9% full tank, then there is a problem with the vent system, no doubt..
Work on the vacuum lines, most are good for 5 to 8 years...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The last two posts have 99.9% possibly hit the nail on the head - this should be at least the second thing to check and service..First being the vacuum lines...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts