SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Saab Universe! I have recently purchased a 1993 900s and I’m looking to make some modifications, mainly the steering column and shifter. I’m 6’1” and cannot get comfortable behind the wheel. Either my arms are in a comfortable position holding the steering wheel and my knees are up my nose or my legs are in a comfortable position and I can’t reach the steering wheel or the shifter. I guess I’m some sort of mutant and my arms are too short for my body or my legs are too long. I’m thinking of a spacer and a new smaller diameter steering wheel with a deep dish and an extension for the shifter. When I search Google I find a spacer but no steering wheel or vice versa and can’t find anything like a shifter extension. Does anyone here have any suggestions or websites they can direct me to?
Thanks,
Kyle.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Welcome.

You might try searching for Momo steering wheels or at a Momo website. Not sure what all they have. But with an adaptor you'd probably bring a given wheel closer without simultaneously putting your knees into your ears. This is an assumption on my part since I haven't installed this type of wheel. But I'm 6'3" and intend to do something similar (with a Saab Momo wheel, not a generic after-market one).

There are a couple of Momos on ebay right now, with buy-it-now, including adaptors. Not sure if these are what you're after, and you should do some price-comparing and additional research to confirm setups like this are reasonably priced and will meet your physical requirements. Best of luck.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/eblout/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
As an option Saab offered a Saab badged Momo wheel which you could try to get hold of. Also Momo do a 900 boss so choose your after-market Momo wheel from their range. More importantly for you, they also do a 1" spacer that brings the wheel closer. Here is a page from my project thread to illustrate the difference it makes:

Quote:
For me the steering wheel has always been a bit too far away for the way I like to sit in the car, no matter which wheel I have fitted.

Very straight arm driving position.

So in the summer I bought a MoMo extension which would bring the wheel closer by 1".

Before

After

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
As for the shifter I can make you a custom built "short-shifter" after your specification, i.e., can make the shaft longer as you wish so the shifter will sit higher. go and check the short-shifter thread in c900 forum.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Make sure your seat height is correct for you too ..too high will make you too close to wheel as weel as seat being pulled forward to far and vice versa being to low

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
As an option Saab offered a Saab badged Momo wheel which you could try to get hold of. Also Momo do a 900 boss so choose your after-market Momo wheel from their range. More importantly for you, they also do a 1" spacer that brings the wheel closer. Here is a page from my project thread to illustrate the difference it makes:

Quote:
For me the steering wheel has always been a bit too far away for the way I like to sit in the car, no matter which wheel I have fitted.

So in the summer I bought a MoMo extension which would bring the wheel closer by 1".

Before

After
this is probably not possible on a US 93 900 where SRS is standard due to the horn ring; his SRS light would stay on and the horn would not work.

Plus at his hieght and arm reach he would probably not want to bring the wheel closer??

I say a test drive prior to purchase would have been the proper thing to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:

Before

After
Hey, your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car!

·
Registered
830 Posts
why are people so eager to give up their airbags? Yeah, the special steering wheels look cool, but most of them force you to remove one of the few safe points on what is a pretty unsafe car by today's standards.

I see people all the time swap out airbag wheels for the skinny rally style ones. I guess some people put form way over (life saving) function...

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
all(99.99999%) C900 in uk were not fitted with airbags(special order?) so we are used to not having them(UK law from 1993 I think) and yes they might stop you knocking your teeth out on the steering wheel etc but it will not save you if hit from the side etc etc, and with the strength of the car if you get crushed in from a front hit, there's a lot to absorb & take the hit.
If you and/or the the other driver are going to fast and cause the problem you only have yourselves to blame, as some drivers think because they have airbags that they can drive faster as they are more protected.
I have had one serious roll in a 900(yes probably going too fast on wet bend and it just went) and did a lot of panel damage to the car but it was still driveable and all I had was a little cut on my ear from the window glass breaking, the air bag would have done nothing, so they are not the 'B' all and end all yes they help but I have a strong shell round me and unless I'm hit by a lorry or something very heavy I feel pretty secure, but if im hit by either of above an air bag probably would'nt help anyway

·
Registered
830 Posts
all(99.99999%) C900 in uk were not fitted with airbags(special order?) so we are used to not having them(UK law from 1993 I think) and yes they might stop you knocking your teeth out on the steering wheel etc but it will not save you if hit from the side etc etc, and with the strength of the car if you get crushed in from a front hit, there's a lot to absorb & take the hit.
If you and/or the the other driver are going to fast and cause the problem you only have yourselves to blame, as some drivers think because they have airbags that they can drive faster as they are more protected.
I have had one serious roll in a 900(yes probably going too fast on wet bend and it just went) and did a lot of panel damage to the car but it was still driveable and all I had was a little cut on my ear from the window glass breaking, the air bag would have done nothing, so they are not the 'B' all and end all yes they help but I have a strong shell round me and unless I'm hit by a lorry or something very heavy I feel pretty secure, but if im hit by either of above an air bag probably would'nt help anyway
See here

Also, Here

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
example of anecdotal means what IYO.. if I crash my C900 I will live air bag or not:D
and 2nd one is'nt avaialable:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts