SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'92 900S 16V,

It floods out when you try to start it in the cold. Once it starts it runs fine, no CEL. Any ideas?

What should the fuel pressure be and how do you check it?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
thestig99 said:
'92 900S 16V,

It floods out when you try to start it in the cold. Once it starts it runs fine, no CEL. Any ideas?

What should the fuel pressure be and how do you check it?
Could be a dud fuel pressure regulator (mounted on the fuel rail). I'm not sure how to check fuel pressures on 16V engines as I've only done it with 8V engines that have K-Jet (CIS).

Craig.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Learned today that is has low compression on 2 cylinders. One was 80, one was 90, and the others well over 100 pounds. (Like 130)

Didn't want to say this at first because I thought it would be a bit obvious but whatever it was flooded with wasn't gas. Took a lighter to the soaking wet spark plug and nothing happened. Drained some gas into a soda bottle and had to be almost touching it with your nose to smell gas.

So yeah, things are starting to add up to bad. Could it be flooded with coolant from a bad headgasket? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
751 Posts
quite possbily, are you loosing coolant? poor compression will give you all sorts of problems and means a full rebuild basically :( .

put a small squirt of oil in the cylinders that are low on compression and see if the compression comes back up. that'll tell you if the rings are worn.

if it makes no differnce could be valves, but as its on 2 cylinders kinda sounds like rings.

is it smokey too?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
if it is 2 pistons side by side,e.g. 2-3 it is probably head gasket as the compression pressure is being pushed into the other cylinder,hence low compression and with a little bit of water, no go, as you are trying to fire up on two and a bit cylinders.
if it works with the oil trick it is definately?? rings, but they normally wear evenly so they should all be around the same compression even if it's low, and you would be using oil slowly as well

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if he's losing coolant but I'll look into it. It's not particularly smokey but man that thing smells bad. Shoots really dirty water out the tailpipe, too, but I think that's condensation. The odd part of it all is that it went fine until it got cold out.

This is my brothers' "new" car which he bought this summer to replace his 9-5 and recently finished getting it roadworthy.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
thestig99 said:
I'm not sure if he's losing coolant but I'll look into it. It's not particularly smokey but man that thing smells bad. Shoots really dirty water out the tailpipe, too, .
Get some of the "really dirty water" on your finger - is it greasy? Give it a sniff - does it smell a bit like coolant? If so it's probably a headgasket.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it's my problem now :)

The water didn't smell like much of anything any i just kinda wiped it off my finger.

My main concern is whatever is on the plugs. What are the chances that it's in the cylinders, too? Guess we'll find out for sure when the head gets pulled but that won't be for quite a while and the suspense is killing me ;)

I should also point out that the last couple times it got started it fired right up... interesting.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Failed head gasket.

Have a garage check for hydrocarbons in the expansion tank. That tells you whether there's a leak between the cooling system and the combustion chamber - classic head gasket failure.

thestig99 said:
What are the chances that it's in the cylinders, too?
Very high.

Starting when warm will usually be fine but cold starting will be difficult.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More info tonight..

It's been driven at least 600 miles with the failed gasket.

Also one thing I just remembered from when we picked it up over the summer. We had to tow it home because of a bad starter but when we finally got it running something odd happened. This weird maroonish colored dusty stuff blew out the engine bad and exhaust for a minute or two. Any significance? I'm also remembering that it had a pretty nasty smell in its early days of being around me and I seem to remember idling issues. I think at least the latter healed with a new distributor/plugs/wires.

Man this thing's had a rough life... Previously titled in Massachusets the body looks like it spent much time in Boston (or some city at any rate). It was bought at auction as a repo and ended ut in a dive car lot in Vermont. Rescued from there it went on the road to recovery, while looking for speaker wires we found a razor and vile (this said "Lucky you" on the side and had traces of white on the inside.. thrown away promptly) under the center console. Now this. Poor car :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts