SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchased my first Saab. it is a 91 900S with 120,000 miles. I picked it up for $550 and had to replace the windshied(200) and front tires(180) and tune up parts(~45) it is running great and it drives great. but when you start it up it sounds kinnda funny in that there is a slight rattling sound. I checked the timing belt tensioner and it is at about 9MM any ideas on what I shoud be concened about if anything??

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Oh God!:eek: i took that bolt out and when i saw it had a spring on it i put it back in right way, i never fully removed it from the thread hole, i was looking for a water plug a the time and now i have red ears wondering if i messed something up.

Do i have to reset the push rod?

My engine makes no rattle at all fingers crossed;oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I followed the directions I found somewhere on the internet It looked like a scan of a Saab tech bulletin. It is a real pain trying to get to that bolt with the air conditioner right in the way. Does anyone know th sixe belt I can use if I remove the AC comp? it currently blows hot air and I can live without it. The noise does seem to go away when the engine warms up. you cannot hear the noise when you rev the engine. I only notice it when the engine is first started and idling

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does seem to increase with the speed of the engine,but it is not the type of noise I would associate with a noisy lifter. it is not a tap tap type of noise it is closer to someone shaking a bag of marbles in oil. my main concern was that it was the timing chain but it is well below the 11mm limit on the tensioner. and the car does not have high enough milage for a timing chain replacement?? the car runs and starts great. I just had an emmisions test and it did great. maybe I should not worry? My wife describes the noise as sounding like a deisel engine when cold

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
TomM said:
it does seem to increase with the speed of the engine,but it is not the type of noise I would associate with a noisy lifter. it is not a tap tap type of noise it is closer to someone shaking a bag of marbles in oil. my main concern was that it was the timing chain but it is well below the 11mm limit on the tensioner. and the car does not have high enough milage for a timing chain replacement?? the car runs and starts great. I just had an emmisions test and it did great. maybe I should not worry? My wife describes the noise as sounding like a deisel engine when cold
You know i think i read that the mileage is not the only factor and a timing chain can break long before its service for a host of reason which escape me right now.

Its possible something has broken off and is inside the engine, its possible that the noise is something extrenal and could be something lose slapping the engine as its shakes, without hearing the sound it would be hard and a guess at best to say what it could be.

marbles in oil does not sound natural to me and if its loud enought to make you worry then you have to find the sound source first, i would try cover my right ear and get my left ear as close as possible to the location of the sound be it form the top or bottom of your engine, at least this can point you in teh right directions better than all my guess.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does the noise get louder as you accelerate, and then go away when you lift off? More noticable above 2000rpm? If so, you might be in for a surprise!

I'm investigating my dead engine tomorrow. Mine was making a horrible rattle / knock for about 6 months before the thing - whatever it might be - went bang.

After a day of getting oil all over me tomorrow, I'll let you know what I found out!

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
you know that Castrol ad. that talks about 90% of engine wear happening in the first 5 minutes after start-up. Well engine oil works by forming a film between rotating components and this film doesn't really start to work until the oil gets warm. What your seeing there is probably a fairly standard warming-up noise. If it goes away when the engine is warm and the engine sounds ok after that then it sounds like there's nothing to worry about. It's impossible to say without seeing the engine though.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
TomM said:
The noise does seem to go away when the engine warms up. you cannot hear the noise when you rev the engine. I only notice it when the engine is first started and idling
My guess is that it's just lifter noise (they're hydraulic, and take a few moments to pressurize from cold). You'll find that if you don't run the car for a few days, the lifters can make quite a racket on first startup (in my own experience, it can take 20 minutes for them to shut up).

What grade of oil did you use when you changed it? I recommend 5W-30 for winter and 10W-40 for summer. That might quieten things down a bit.

BTW, if your AC is not working, consider fixing it rather than ripping it out. Search this Forum for details--it's all DIY-able, and parts are not much money:)

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
ejenner said:
What your seeing there is probably a fairly standard warming-up noise. If it goes away when the engine is warm and the engine sounds ok after that then it sounds like there's nothing to worry about.
I'm sorry, but I have to say that I disagree with that statement. I think to make such a generalisation is misleading.

A well maintained engine in good health shouldn't sound a bag of marbles when it's started from cold. In fact, such a sound could be a pointer to several problems, eg: failing hydraulic lifter or a worn out timing chain.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
This sound could be the lifters, i know my car takes 2 minutes at idle before the oil gets warm and covers everything, the oil could be cheap old rubish for all we know which is easy to fix right:D

When did you last change the oil? i personally recommend fully synthetic oils, my Saab made a good tapping noise when i got it from the last owner who was a cheap skate on engine oil, black as night and about as good as chip fat oil:eek:

I though there was something wrong with my engine until Mobil 1 come along, i think i stole it from my big brother, anyway the engine sounds so quiet now, no tapping at all when its warmed up, the only ticking noise i can hear is from the blue plug thats under the injectors, i took my own advice and listened to my engine for 10 minutes and found that was the only thing that made a ticking sound, i think its the knock detector?

I know this is simplistic but is your spark plug cover all bolted down and tight?

This has been know to rattle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did just buy some castrol synthetic to do my first oil change with. I'll let you know how it works out. thanks for all the advice from everyone on this I really appreciate this forum since it is my first Saab. I have enjoyed driving it over the past 2 weeks. it drives like a dream.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts