SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've just joined this forum because I've JUST purchased a 1996 900S convertible in Vibrant Lemon. I enjoy the car very much, and am impressed by its on road behaviour, but I have a problem. The soft top (tonneau) cover regulator seems to be faulty. My husband removed it, was able to bend it back into its correct alignment, and he constructed a little strengthening bracket. The hood worked well for a few weeks, but it has happened again.

My husband put a spanner on the shaft that the top hinges on and says that it seems too much force is required to turn it, therefore straining the regulator assembly.

What can I do about this without resorting to replacing the motor?

Regards,
Bernice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
bernice-droptop-saab said:
Hello. I've just joined this forum because I've JUST purchased a 1996 900S convertible in Vibrant Lemon. I enjoy the car very much, and am impressed by its on road behaviour, but I have a problem. The soft top (tonneau) cover regulator seems to be faulty. My husband removed it, was able to bend it back into its correct alignment, and he constructed a little strengthening bracket. The hood worked well for a few weeks, but it has happened again.

My husband put a spanner on the shaft that the top hinges on and says that it seems too much force is required to turn it, therefore straining the regulator assembly.

What can I do about this without resorting to replacing the motor?

Regards,
Bernice
OMG You got one of the rarest colors. I love that.
Do you have pics? You may have one of the Mellow Yellow very limited edition. Those are very rare and have very rare wheels too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? My rare car might be rarer than I thought? The Vibrant Lemon really does suit the car perfectly, I _adore_ it. I wish they made them in Magenta though.

And I wish my hood cover worked : (



hkayssi said:
OMG You got one of the rarest colors. I love that.
Do you have pics? You may have one of the Mellow Yellow very limited edition. Those are very rare and have very rare wheels too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again,

Does no one have any ideas? A friend told me there is a regulator strengthening kit or something? Is there a specification as to how much force is required to open the tonneau cover?

I'm desperate.



Bernice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
Hi Bernice

Here's what you need regarding the brace
http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/900+cv+top.pdf

Try these links.
http://www.saabservices.com/cvtop%20data/ng900cv%20top%20diagnosis%20and%20troubleshooting.pdf

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/members/gallery.html?memberID=112&do=show&id=967

This one is very helpful as well. Read what saaboheme wrote
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107488

I hope this helps :cheesy:

And indeed you may have one of the rarest colors around
We even had a thread dedicated to the Melllow Yellow but on another forum.

Ciao :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hkayssi, i could kiss you!!! This is JUST what we needed to see, THANK YOU!!!!

Is it REALLY called Mellow Yellow? I just call it Vibrant Lemon, and all my friends look at me strangely, and say maybe I should get a Renault 12 estate instead. I don't see the connection.



Bernice




hkayssi said:
Hi Bernice

Here's what you need regarding the brace
http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/900+cv+top.pdf

Try these links.
http://www.saabservices.com/cvtop%20data/ng900cv%20top%20diagnosis%20and%20troubleshooting.pdf

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/members/gallery.html?memberID=112&do=show&id=967

This one is very helpful as well. Read what saaboheme wrote
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107488

I hope this helps :cheesy:

And indeed you may have one of the rarest colors around
We even had a thread dedicated to the Melllow Yellow but on another forum.

Ciao :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
Renault 12????? That's an outrage! :nono; I'm not insulted though :lol: . My dad was a BMW/Renault dealer in that era 1975+ and I sat in them as a 2 year old in the show room all the time. I like them still (even though they're so ugly by today's standards)

This is a Renault 12

Glad the info helped
Here's the thread I was talking about
http://www.93forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=148&highlight=mellow+yellow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are such a strange looking car! A Romanian friend says they still make them, is that true?

Today I ordered a strengthening kit - only $15!!




hkayssi said:
Renault 12????? That's an outrage! :nono; I'm not insulted though :lol: . My dad was a BMW/Renault dealer in that era 1975+ and I sat in them as a 2 year old in the show room all the time. I like them still (even though they're so ugly by today's standards)

This is a Renault 12

Glad the info helped
Here's the thread I was talking about
http://www.93forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=148&highlight=mellow+yellow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
I don't believe they still make them. They did back until the late 90s under the name DACIA.

Yes the strengthening kit is a cheap fix :cheesy:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top