SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 900s automatic. When I put the car in gear and remain at idle the car is vibrating and has been getting worse, just changed plugs and problem remains. Once driving the car, vibration is gone and runs very smooth. I noted that my rpm is very steady at idle yet the car is shaking like a bad Elvis Presley impersonator.

I noted on one thread that someone spoke about an AIC valve? could this be the cause, what is it, where is it. any advice?:D

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Maybe it drank two 40's of OE, cause that stuff sure gives me the shakes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 900 (automatic) does the same thing. I've dealt with it for a year now, and just yesterday took it to the "local" Saab mechanic for diagnosis. In my situation it might be the motor mounts, but he said it's more likely the inner-joints on the drive axle (sorry, I'm not mechanicaly inclined and don't remember exactly). The vibration seems to come from the right side of the car and it gets the shakes a bit around 40-50mph if I have a passenger sitting on the right.

It's worth checking the motor mounts too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
900s has the shakes

91 - 900s I have come to the conclusion that the motor mounts need to be replaced. I read somewhere that this was not too difficult to do as a backyard mechanic. Does anyone out there have a link that will give a good explaination of the procedure.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Two of the mounts--the front one and the RH one--are easy to change; the LH one requires major work, because you have to lift the engine at least 6 inches:eek:

I would start by taking a look at the front mount; these fail the most often. Check to see if the metal strap between the 2 hold-down bolts is cracked, which is what usually happens.

Search this Forum for replacement instructions, or look in the Bentley manual:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
motor mounts replacement

Smooth as silk while driving, stop at idle and it vibrates enough to loosen teeth:D Sounds like the motor mounts. Well I am going to tackle this myself and have been looking all over the net for some basics.

Does anyone have a link or info on the step-by-step, remove and replace procedure for motor mounts on a non-turbo 91 900s.

I am having trouble as to what to do first. I am interested in just tackling the front mount in the hopes that it is the only one that really needs attention. (the side mounts, look like a real troublesome task). With respect to the front mount, where do I begin, looks like I must take off the aux. fans and shrouds first , please advise. :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
motor mounts

thanks for the response. The front mount is what I will tackle first. I sent out a 2nd post. I don't have the benefit of a Bentley, and I am having a really difficult time finding a thread on the step by step of replace and remove. I am sure I will get the info at some point. thanks again.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The mounts comes in 2 different types. Being a non-turbo, I think you have the "barrel" type.

Front mount replacement: Easiest with the hood off, take the fans out, unbolt the mount, jack up the front of the engine, replace.

Right side (Passenger USA): unbolt (2 underneath), jack the side of the engine, replace.

Left side: Pretty much impossible on 16v without the engine out. I have changed the barrel type on my 8v with the engine in, but it requires all mounts loose and removing the right side brace to the other mount, so that you can rotate the engine enough to slip in the new mount.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
motor mounts

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I am going to start with the front. p.s I know from my past experiences - there is no such thing as a stupid question - so it's ok to blast me on this one- - how hard is it to remove the hood (bonnet), does it cause re-alignment problems upon re-installation:roll:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Removing the hood is as simple as undoing two bolts at the front. I have done it several times on my own, but its much easier with a friend. Putting it back on your own is even harder, but still possible. There are no alignment issues on these reverse type hoods as they are self aligning.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
sinclairlaw2 said:
how hard is it to remove the hood (bonnet),
I second the "Get a friend". The hood is heavy and tough to move without damaging something. Yep, only those 2 bolts in the hinge section.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts