SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this so please bear with me....

I have a 93 900S non turbo. It has had a problem with the Alternator ever since I got it 3 years ago. No matter what i do i can't get the Alternator belts tight. The alternator wobbles on the pivot bolt, and the tighter I make the belts the more crocked the alternator gets.

I removed the alternator by taking out the oil filter and had to cut the pivot bolt because the hex screws holding the mounting bracket in are all stripped. Obviously someone else has tried to work on this before.... So now the alternator casting pivot bolt holes are all oblong... My question is, can I replace the rubber bushings and re-use the old alternator, or am I going to get the same problem because the holes are worn out??

The alternator works just fine, just can't tighten the belts... and also can I install a new pivot bolt backwards (ie, put it in from the oil Filter side instead of the firewall side).

thanks in advance.....
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alternator

Ahhhhh my friend you appear to have the same problem that I currently have but am about to remedy, take the belts off and check to see if there is play in the alternator if it is change the alternator mounting bushes as i will be tomorrow

900 nut

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Were the belts the same length? If you put a power steering belt and an alternator belt you will have trouble.

Yeah the bushings can be changed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
mjkacz said:
can I install a new pivot bolt backwards (ie, put it in from the oil Filter side instead of the firewall side).
Yes. I spoke with someone that did this so the alternator did not have to be pivoted.

If the mounting bracket holes are oval, then I'd find a replacement bracket in the junkyard. You can get those stripped bolts while you're there too. The bracket is the same on all 900 models AFAIK.

See my sketch for a bushing press to ease in the alternator bushings, on this link (2nd page) . . .http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56575&page=2&pp=20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I bought new bushings and put them in yesterday. I think the problem was that the old bushings weren't installed in the proper direction. They need to be installed from the center so that the alternator floats on the rubber. mine had them both installed in the same direction which is how the guy at the dealer told me to install them. When I told the guy I couldn't get the bracket loose to remove the pivot bolt, he went and got a bracket off the parts shelf and the bushings were already installed in it, so I got to see how they were supposed to go on.

It seems like the alternator is pretty tight now, so I will wait and see if it loosens up again, I still may have to replace the alternator because of those obliong holes but I am hoping this did the trick.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts