SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
900i n/a intercooler modding

Hi Guys
Let me begin with a "evil laugh" for what im about to suggest, I have a 900i non turbo and was reading an article not so long ago as to intercooling the 900i n/a, anybody suggest how to do this with modifications, .....UPDATE....

PIPEWORK COMPLETE, BRACKETS FITTED, IT IS BEGINNING TO SHOW PROMISE BEEN TOLD IT WILL RUN BETTER IE COOLER INTAKE

900NUT

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Can't see why you would want to intercool an n/a, the intercooler is used to cool that charged/compressed air that's run through the turbo, i think adding an intercooler would just restrict the flow into the engine.

You'd be better off trying to house an induction air filter somewhere that it's not taking too much air out of the engine bay, and have a good flow of air to it from the front of the car.

T8/T16 manifolds are unequal length, the gases have to travel further as you move from 4 to 1 so you'd probably end up restricting the engines air flow rather than improving it, + n/a's depend on waves of exhaust gas travelling up and down the exhaust more than turbo's do.

You could try wrapping the manifold in special exhaust wrap to retain a bit more heat and improve the flow of gasses but that would probably cause it to crack even more oftern.

The new mini's (BMW) use an electric supercharger so the technology must have come on alot, people are always completely disregarding them on SC but if a mainstream manufacturer is fitting them as standard and people are then swapping them to better versions (Cooper) then there must be something in it.

If you've got a spare 180 £ i'd look into it, at the end of the day no one can say for sure that they don't work until someones actually tries it, just make sure the one you get is from a good manufacturer and not some backstreet bodge job.

Just noticed you in Wales, i'll have a dig on evil bay and see if i can relocate the one i've seen that actually looks like it does the job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/electric-supercharger-audi-bmw-nissan-citroen-saxo-vts_W0QQitemZ7992006966QQcategoryZ36680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this was'nt the the one i saw before which was made by a German company, and has the German T.....rating, but is similar.

I'd be more trusting of the German design as i know for a fact that there are alot of new generation electric motors comming out of Germany which are very high quality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts