SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the ECU off a 86 9000 turbo. Would it work in my 88 900 turbo vert? I want to test it out and possibly keep it around as backup ECU just in case.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
try it out in the driveway, are the numbers on it the same??,
the 9000 box might be more complicated than your 900, but it might be only using 75% of what it was made for, as the 9000 might have more sensors /toys etc etc, so will do no harm

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
25 pin ECUs are interchangeable to a certain extent.
It will run OK. You could lose some functions because it's an earlier box.
You can always put a later 25 pin box in an earlier car without a problem, you can often put an early box in a later car and get away with it.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
One difference is between MY89 cars which use a plastic-bodied AMM and all other 900s which use metal-bodied AMMs. The pin-outs for the plastic AMM are different.

We fitted a MY88 ECU to a MY89 car and re-arranged the wires on the AMM end of the loom and the car ran better than it ever had done.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41345

Might be different in markets other than the UK - I don't know.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Matthew said:
One difference is between MY89 cars which use a plastic-bodied AMM and all other 900s which use metal-bodied AMMs. The pin-outs for the plastic AMM are different.

We fitted a MY88 ECU to a MY89 car and re-arranged the wires on the AMM end of the loom and the car ran better than it ever had done.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41345

Might be different in markets other than the UK - I don't know.
Yep my 89 16V car has a plastic-bodied -013 AMM. I haven't looked closely enough behind the carpet under the drivers side (RHD!) of the dash to see what the part number on the box is. Are the plastic-bodied AMM's prone to problems more than the metal-bodied ones? Seems the 89 cars are a bit 'experimental' as they also have the hall sensor on the engine behind the crank pulley, which ironically gives a more accurate signal than a distributor-mounted hall sensor. The price is of course the environment that behind-pulley sensor lives in. :cool:

Craig.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Matthew said:
And they use 35 pin ECUs instead of the 25 pin.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I know about the 013 AMMs is that I am using one in my LH 2.4 Volvo right now. It seems to be happy with it. :cheesy:

Anywhoo, I will try the 9000 ECU in my 900 and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I am running the 9000 ECU right now. I think it is still too early for me to figure out what is the difference between it and the 900 ECU. I may need to find someone who knows the Saabs a bit more to find any issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts