SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a 9000 starter (2L) be used in a 9-5? The 9000 starter is from a '93 9k CD. I tried to compare them and they seem pretty much identical apart from the body (the actual motor) being slightly bigger/longer. The solenoid is also slightly bigger, but the 3 screws seem to e in exactly the same position.

Removing the 13mm nut was very difficult and when putting some force on it, the solenoid housing disintegrated. Was thinking of encapsulating it is fiberglass, but not sure if this would hold.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Definitely will not fit in a 2004+ engine, PCV system is in the way. It would be a tight squeeze in an earlier t7 engine for the same reason (though the separator is smaller on that engine)
I do have a 9-5 starter in my 9000 though, so if it physically fits in the allowed space it should work

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely will not fit in a 2004+ engine, PCV system is in the way. It would be a tight squeeze in an earlier t7 engine for the same reason (though the separator is smaller on that engine)
I do have a 9-5 starter in my 9000 though, so if it physically fits in the allowed space it should work
Thanks for your reply. At least I now know that technically there is no problem using it. I've got the engine out of the car so, when building it up again, I'll see what needs to be done to accommodate the PCV system. Might need to make a bracket to shift that a few centimeters.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Have you thought about rebuilding your 9-5 starter? I rebuilt the one in my NG900 a while back, and it was pretty simple. I bought a pair of new bearings, a new solenoid, and a brush assembly, and cleaned it all up and repainted the housing. It's worked beautifully since then. None of the parts were particularly expensive. The solenoid was the most expensive, but I don't think that was even $30. Since that one went so well, I'm working on rebuilding an alternator, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you thought about rebuilding your 9-5 starter? I rebuilt the one in my NG900 a while back, and it was pretty simple. I bought a pair of new bearings, a new solenoid, and a brush assembly, and cleaned it all up and repainted the housing. It's worked beautifully since then. None of the parts were particularly expensive. The solenoid was the most expensive, but I don't think that was even $30. Since that one went so well, I'm working on rebuilding an alternator, too.
My (main) problem is that the housing for the solenoid (assuming that is the small cylindrical part on the side of the starter motor) broke in several pieces. I don't know if I can get those parts in NZ. I tried to get the 3 screws out that hold the housing to the metal part, but couldn't get them to turn. Have doused them in CRC so that may help. Will try again later.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I understand now. I thought that just part of the solenoid broke, but if the aluminum piece the starter screws into broke, then that's definitely a problem. I ended up stripping one or two of the screws that hold the solenoid in, so I just drilled them out and put in some stainless steel flat-head hex drive screws.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have now swapped the solenoid from a 9k starter onto my 9-5 starter. That seems to fit well. Will test it soon. I have one little problem. There is a yellow wire hanging under the inlet manifold. It can reach the starter, but the eye doesn't fit around the connector/terminal bolt on the solenoid. Does anyone know where this yellow wire hooks up to? It comes out of the (small) wiring harness that includes the wire for the oil pressure censor and the small wire going to the alternator. This wiring harness comes out of the (main) wiring harness that sits in the bracket next to the inlet manifold. (It comes up from the bracket towards and then under the inlet manifold. It is easy to identify when you look at that area from the battery side). Also, if the yellow wire goes to the starter, does it hook up to the same connector/terminal bolt as the main power supply to the solenoid/starter? (coming directly from the battery).

When having a 2nd look with better lighting, I noticed that there is another terminal/connector bolt on top (at the manifold side) of the solenoid and the eye of the yellow wire fits snugly around it so I'm trying that.
A few more things to do before 'lift-off' (I hope).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started up the engine and the starter motor worked perfectly. (The engine and gearbox need more work, unfortunately).;ol; + :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts