SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put some super aero rims from a 9000 on my 900 91?
Here is a picture of the rims.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Yes, although you may need to downsize the sidewall of the tire to a 50 or 45 series to avoid rubbing over bumps with a big load in the back.

Those are Regular 16" Aeros, the "super aeros" have a more curvy, deepdish design. I have super aeros, they make the car look a lot better. Also, they make the tires protrude a bit in the front, a look that I kind of like.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Here is a shot of 16" Aeros on Palmer's '86:

You can see they protrude a bit in the front, I think it gives the car a slightly more aggressive look, like a monster truck :D

These are Super Aeros, the same kind I have (don't have proper pics of the car with the new wheels):

And these are Super Aero II's, they were only on one or two years of 9000's IIRC, this is drg23's car:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
9000s had a sidewall ratio one click above the 900. On the standard 15" wheels, the ratio should be 195/60 for turbo 900s; 195/65 on 9000s. While that ratio does fit into the 900, be sure your springs/shocks are good - any sagging and you'll clean the inside of your wheelarch :lol:

For 16s, 205/55 fits well on the 9000, so drop down to 205/50 or even stay with 195 and go with 55s which is still a good fit for 6" width wheels ... 205s are really for 7" width. The overall rolling radius of 205/50 or 195/55 on 16" is the same as 205/55 195/60 on 15" ... the standard sizing for turbo 900s.

Speedo differences are negligible and within 1 MPH +/- at 60 MPH.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Good info Orca - my personal experience with standard (slightly sagging ;) ) springs and 17 year old shocks is that with a 205/55/16, you will get rubbing in the back only with a heavy load. Right now I have that size on the front, and 205/50/16 in the back - they almost never rub, in fact the only time they have is today over a huge bump with about 600 pounds of equipment in the hatch :lol:

Does anyone else notice that the rear ends in these cars tend to sag before the fronts do? I've seen a lot of c900s with this, not just mine.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
The 3/5 doors certainly have saggy back ends ... I think they all do. Less so on the 2/4 door and somewhere in between for convertibles, possibly. I do think that the 900 rides a little high at the front which may give an optical illusion. I have my front lowered to make it look right.

A perfect solution is air suspension ... like for caravaning.

One of my accessories blog subscribers has the SAAB accessory air suspension fitted to his amazing car:
http://c900se.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/craig-bells-accessorised-classic-900/

I tend to carry a lot of stuff in my boot/trunk quite a lot of the time. Couple that with the autumn/winter weather which seems to erode the roads where I live quite badly (rural and quite high altitude), I run with 195/65 ratio tyres (straight off a 9000) through these winter months. My rear arches get "cleaned" quite a lot :roll:

I'm going for air suspension as soon as I can find a good/affordable kit or at least a recommendation from someone. Any caravaners out there with direct experience?

·
4,637 Posts
Orca said:
A perfect solution is air suspension ... like for caravaning.

One of my accessories blog subscribers has the SAAB accessory air suspension fitted to his amazing car:
http://c900se.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/craig-bells-accessorised-classic-900/

I'm going for air suspension as soon as I can find a good/affordable kit or at least a recommendation from someone. Any caravaners out there with direct experience?
Yep, have that in the LPT. Without the compressor and gauges though, just a valve mounted inside the boot. Shouldn't be too hard to get that setup. It has a leak at the mo. I'll fix that when I do the rear axle overhaul. I reckon new bushes should sort out the sag. New springs didn't do it. Maybe taking the junk out of the boot would help too...

I use a spirit level on the coachline to see if there's genuine sag or not. The front wheel wells are so much higher than the rear.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have those wheels and use 205/50 16 tyres and lowered suspension and have never had any rubbing of the tyre against wheelarch. I do occasionally get rubbing of the mudflap ahead of the front suspension against the road, but only when loaded up and going over a hump in the road.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have those wheels and use 205/50/16 tyres and lowered suspension and have had plenty of rubbing of the tyre against wheelarch.

Maybe the vert arches are different? Behold the number of threads about wheel rub with super aeros on c900's. IronJoe has 215's on his vert, but then he is running custom 17" wheels with a different offset. ( 40 )

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Matthew said:
45/16 would cause it to under-read by 2.5%.
I never knew it was as much as that, I have seen the 45 side wall on a 16 and it just does not fill the arc nicely, the 50 side wall looks spot on.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just mounted 205/55/16's on superaero wheels on my tan over black 91 vert. I will some day post pix as soon as I learn how to manipulate the camera and the 'puter.

When changing out the wheels (standard 15 spokes with 195/60/15's) the inside of the wheel wells in the back were nice and clean :cheesy: where the stock arrangements had been rubbing. I expect the 16's will rub some, too. I usually run without back seat passengers--although I am a pack rat as to stuff in the trunk......

On my list is the mod that moves the rear axle to a "centered" position. In addition to enhanced handling, it is supposed to minimize rubbing.

I REALLY like the way the superaeros look!

·
Registered
24 Posts
900s to 9000

I've got an 86 900S and a 93 9000 CSE. Time to put the 9000 to rest but I like the rims. All the same I don't think the bolt configuratyion matches between these cars. But when I read here it sounds like it should?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
saaboholic said:
I've got an 86 900S and a 93 9000 CSE. Time to put the 9000 to rest but I like the rims. All the same I don't think the bolt configuratyion matches between these cars. But when I read here it sounds like it should?
They won't fit your '86. Guaranteed. They are a direct fit on 1988 to 1993 900 models only!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
this is very true....

my last pair of tyres on therear of my car (Continental i think) gave me a hell of a lot of rub, while the Goodyears I have now, give me little rub...
both are the same size...... 205 50 16

G

1 - 19 of 19 Posts