SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been posting on the farcebook group 'SAAB 9000' about a potential upgrade kit to replace the stock mount completely with a CNC'd 6061 T-6 alloy setup. I'm in the process of 3D printing prototypes for fitment and geometry checks before I commit to a design. Unfortunately there's not much I can do for the body apart from a weld-in reinforcement kit, which I've not needed to do (yet). I'm not going to destroy my rear rails just to design a repair kit.

You'd receive the following in a kit for both the left and right mounts:

1) A CNC'd T-6 base and support arm with bronze load bushings
2) Stainless steel shoulder pivot bolt
3) Energy Suspension poly bushing and retainer kit in your choice of bar diameter
4) 316 stainless bushing mounting bolts
5) 4 Energy Suspension alloy lateral bar locks to prevent arm/bushing walk

I've gotten an initial group-buy estimate of $275USD + shipping if I order enough machined and stock parts for 10 LH/RH kits. If I get 20 kits sold then the cost would drop $30USD. I have to perform final assembly and kitting before they can ship out. Lead time is about 1.5 weeks for the CNC work. I can also work out custom orders if you want to buy your own bushing kits and locks.

Let me know if you're interested so I can gauge how much more work I want to put into this. We don't really have any replacement options at this point apart from rusty junk yard pulls. Final drawing and 3D print pictures (as well as installed prototype pics coming soon)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First test fit, needs some changes for geometry and bushing attachment strength.

Second design test. Place the bar under the pivot more.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, the factory studs are too short. This is a puny ARB retaining plate. No wonder they pull out when there's some rot in the channel. Going to make a larger plate with longer studs.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is close to the final design. I had to cut out part of the forward section due to the seam where the wheel well and frame come together with the rear floor.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've made a few changes to the arm at the base to add more side support for the bushing. I also am going set the hole pattern to fit the lower two positions on the cap's slot holes to avoid shifting during heavy bar pressure upward. I do not think it's worth making adjustable slot hole spacers.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Group Buy #1 Information - 10 kit minimum
  • 2 x T6 6061 billet base mounts
  • 2 x T6 6061 billet support arms
  • 2 x Energy Suspension greaseable poly busing kits (red or black)
  • 2 x 3/16 HR steel back plate with steel studs and m6 stainless steel button-head retaining screw
  • 2 x 8mm shoulder pivot bolts with nylock nuts
  • 4 x 8mm stainless steel flange bolts for bushing caps
You will have to drill out the OEM bolt capture plate rivet and drill out the hole for an M6 screw to fit. This requires pulling out the trunk floor, sliding over the side carpet panel and popping off the cover plate in the trunk floor. The rest of the install is bolt and nut simple.

Total price for 10 LH/RH kits is $295. Shipping is not included at this price due to global shipping. Shipping in the lower 48 US states should be around $15. I won't have a freight cost until I have the kits in-hand to package and weight the shipping box. If we can get 20 orders together the price drops to $260 per kit.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're wondering why it's $300USD. It's not me marking it up to make profit. This is even sourcing the T6 CNC work from China. Not my favorite option but I can't see spending $500 on a kit from USA CNC'd with China sourced T6 billet. I still have to do the finish work mind-you, so I have to put a lot of final production time into these. Hopefully these help with auto-cross and the next order will be bigger and I can make some $ back for my time. Here's the quote from Xometry with 20 kits being ordered. Steel is about 3X more expensive to CNC due to tool wear, even in China shops.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pre-orders end 10/31/2021. If there are less than 10 pre-orders on 10/31 then all orders will be refunded. I can not submit a production order for less than 10 complete kits. 20 kits will drop the price of the CNC components and I will refund the savings after each finished order is shipped out.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Very nice engineering work there, and good initiative. In theory I should get something like this at some point, not a priority currently though. Couple comments:

Have you asked any established providers of Saab parts in USA, UK, Sweden if they would be interested in ordering any? Also other Saab forums out there?

There have been several lower cost approaches discussed for the lower part of the mount, in both UKsaabs and Swedish Turosaab forums, though these don't address the upper mount and plate weakness.

Good luck, nice to see the initiative.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have only posted on here and the SAAB 9000 Facebook group so far. I anticipate this preorder will flop. They always do, which is why I am not fronting a couple grand in cash to make them first. I got burned majorly before.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I managed to get the preliminary total kit cost down to $275 for the kit with some small changes to thickness and removal of bushing mount holes. I will have to drill and tap those but I can customize your order with bolt spacing to fit either stock bushing caps or the Energy Suspension ones. If you leave out the ES bushings the kit will be $255. If you want to drill your own holes for your own bushing caps the kit will be $245 and I will not warranty the bushing mounts, just the base and pivot assembly.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are interested in a group buy PM me and let me know so I have a water mark. If I accept CC through Square invoicing then I'd have to add a 3% fee to cover their costs to process it. I can do 50% now and 50% at shipment time through them to help offset the initial cost and get the CNC order going with 10 buyers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts