SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from what i understand, the 9000 cs is 6psi and the cse and aero are 16psi. Is the only difference between the cs and aero the turbo?( performance wise) because I am buying a 9000 for modding and want to know how much it would cost to get up to the aero level to start off. After that it will be mainly bolt on parts.
thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
803 Posts
Besides the Aero, trim level has nothing to do with engine designation. Although it might seem like it, since most people who didn't want to pony up a lot of money for the car weren't likely to get anything other than the base engine, and the one's with deep pockets obviously would usually want the faster car.

There are a number of hardware differences between the Aero and FPT cars. The suspension , the interior and the turbo are the biggest differences. The Aeros also have bigger brakes and a different body kit.
Obviously, if big power is your goal, it's best to go with the most powerful starting point. Stay away from automatic cars, too. The transmission will do everything except work when subjected to big(ish) power.

The Aeros were only built in limited numbers, so they aren't nearly as easy to find as the other cars, but in my opinion, it's worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i really really want an aero, and have found a few. I have been trieng to contact the guy with it but he hasn't replied yet

·
Registered
762 Posts
Cliche` said:
The Aeros also have bigger brakes...
False.

All 9000s from 1988-1998 have the same brake setup, turbo, non-turbo, CS, CD, CSE, CDE, Aero alike.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Then how come the wheels from my old CSE, which fit fine with stick on weights, needed the hammer on weights to fit on my Aero?
And why were the rotors on my Aero bigger than the rotors on my CSE?

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Cliche` said:
Then how come the wheels from my old CSE, which fit fine with stick on weights, needed the hammer on weights to fit on my Aero?
And why were the rotors on my Aero bigger than the rotors on my CSE?
Maybe someone else made modifications. Im pretty sure that only the suspension was sport tuned.

sleeper9kt said:
False.

All 9000s from 1988-1998 have the same brake setup, turbo, non-turbo, CS, CD, CSE, CDE, Aero alike.
Lol, you sound like dwight from, "The Office".

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a '94 CSE and my friend has a '97 Aero and we have done numerous brake rotor and wheel swaps with no issues or differences noted whatsoever.

Edit: I would suspect any differences that may exist to be early 9000's may have slightly different brakes than the CS style.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am searching right now between the aeros and cse to buy. I would much rather an aero but it's just too hard to find. The cse is fpt right? and is it tdo4 like the aero?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can squeeze more power than a standard Aero from cs 2.3fpt if you fit a re-mapped ecu..

The brakes on the cs are the same as the Aero..

The 2.3T Anniversary had the same power as the Aero if you can find one..

my advice would be find an Aero if you can ,,,or if not a well looked after 2.3Tcs is a good place to start;)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If your modding then
1) set you over budget
2) set your BHP target
3) the lower the 9000 spec the more you get to spend on bhp
whether its an aero or not your best to
upgrade brakes = same cost for any model
upgrade roll bars = same cost for any model
upgrade ex = same cost for any model
upgrade wheels to atleast 16" rims = ok aero wins but offset against cost of aero
upgrade induction = same cost
upgrade ECU = same cost per bang +/- ok the aero is one stage ahead to start with but you,ll bypass stage one anyway
intercooler & APC control, you buy from a breaker if your LPT so minimal cost to upgrade offset against cheaper car
upgrade suspension = same cost for any model

Overall if you target is limited to say 260 / 270 bhp & a lot of fun, go for the much cheaper lpt /fpt versus aero
If your target & budget ( because there is more bits needed & it now gets expensive) to exceed 300 bhp up to around 350 go Aero with the td04 ( or late FPT
if your after more, any of them will do because ther will not be any worthwhile original bits left apart from the engine & they are all the same blocks if you stick to 2.3

·
Registered
762 Posts
Cliche` said:
No, they're OEM. I got brakes for both from the dealer.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=4914

Not sure. You can do some part# referencing if you'd like. I don't care to do any more right now. Plus, I've owned enough 9000s and parted enough out to know that there is not a different setup on the Aero.

Some early 9000s and non-turbo 9000s did have different calipers. Yes, it's true. And possibly there were some different OEMs for the calipers, although I've never seen anything other than the ATE/Saab calipers.

So, I can't say why your aero had odd brakes. Seems odd. My Aero and my '91 9000T have the same brake setup. And they both had the same brakes as my 1993 CDET that I used to own. I swapped all sorts of wheels over and none of them ever had fitment issues.

Odd.

And regarding the Dwight comment, I've been watching the office a lot

·
Registered
803 Posts
Maybe there was some option or something. It IS a very early '94, maybe it was a test bed for some different parts, because there are a lot of thing from my old CSE that just don't fit on my Aero. I don't know.

·
Registered
987 Posts
brownboy1690 said:
I am searching right now between the aeros and cse to buy. I would much rather an aero but it's just too hard to find. The cse is fpt right? and is it tdo4 like the aero?
CSE is fpt.
CSE is garrett t-25
Aero is mitsubishi td04
Aero has slightly lowered/sporty suspension and the bodykit alone is worth the $$ spent to buy it. Most people can't tell the difference, but after you've been admiring the Aero for a while, the CSE bumpers look like a puke sandwich. The Aero side panel below the doors is also infinitely better looking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies, I am probably going to end up with the cse unless an aero with under 130k miles magically appears within 200 miles of me. It's still hard to find a cse though. I am looking to start off going to 250-300hp then taking it slow from there. I don't want to put a limit on the power. Looks don't matter at all to me so I'm just planning on upgrading suspension, brakes, and wheels then the rest will be engine. Is the tdo4 the same one used on the eclipse?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't be too put of by high miles on the 9000, my Aero has 190k ,,, just broken in ;)
As long as its been looked after, service history helps plent of good ones out there

·
Registered
762 Posts
Trig said:
Don't be too put of by high miles on the 9000, my Aero has 190k ,,, just broken in ;)
As long as its been looked after, service history helps plent of good ones out there
Agreed! Mine has 225,000 miles! I got the Stage 4 setup (310bhp 350lb.ft) at 221,000 miles, and the car still gets good gas milage, runs well, etc.

Mine probably will need a headgasket in the next year, but really, it's been a very good car!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just found an aero with 190k on the body and 100k on the engine, I'm looking into it:cool: how much did the stage 4 setup cost you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts