SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also just got a 95 9000 CSE. I'm in the middle of replacing the clutch. Just an interesting aside. Not mentioned in any of the clutch papers is a bolt on the bottom of the tranny that holds a small shield. I almost had an hernia removing the tranny till I decided to check "one more time". That's when I noticed it. I actually tore the sheet metal....:evil:

On another note, everything is going well, the tranny is out. Of course, I've striped the slave bolts. I must say that is a VERY poor design. Why couldn't Saab design something with a hex bolt?:evil:

Anyway, has anyone had the same experience? What would everyone suggest about getting them out? I'm going to try a screw extractor I got from Sears. I really hope I don't break off the heads.....:eek:

·
Registered
136 Posts
dmtinker said:
I'm going to try a screw extractor I got from Sears. I really hope I don't break off the heads.....:eek:
:evil: Oh God no! I will never use screw extractors again! I tried a set of "easy outs" one time and broke it off in the middle of the screw. Took me hours to drill it all out (titanium drill bits)

On the slave cylinder screws, I used a 2 foot breaker bar connected to to that tiny Torx bit and got plenty of leverage. They popped right off. I think those slave cylinder screws are put in with locktite, which is why you need so much leverage to crack them. I've also heard of people using an impact wrench.

That bell housing is probably too small to get a large pair of visegrips in on the screw heads huh? If they are all stripped already (3 screws right?) why not just dremell/drill out the heads? Sounds like you're going to have to replace the screws anyway.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I will have to replace them. I wonder if I should cut a notch and use a screw driver? No there is no room for vise grips....:evil:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts