SaabCentral Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If TCS is working, All of the above is moot. TCS is only a problem when it does limphome . Otherwise it works well.
Don't fix what ain't broke ? That concept would save me a lot of work, IF I could abide by it.
Great news ! Can I have / buy or in the least pay for your shipping and associated time (you are in california ?..then I'm just up the coast).. for a set of the earlier version (partially threaded ) bolts
If you have extras to include... a couple? of spares could be useful as there might be a messed one or two .. on inspection.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
TCS is not working... there are a bunch of fault codes posted above, including 25721 which results in limp home mode. It's definitely gotta be fixed or jettisoned. :)

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have been hesitant about buying a 9000 due to TCS issues for years, but beggars can't be choosers with 9000s these days... they are hard to find!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Here's one that's even better.. how do you get the sunroof to properly fold back and retract after replacing the glides? Mine refuses to roll down and back, getting bound up.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know the answer to this, but I need to think about this. I had this problem on that gold car. I feel like the answer is very specific placement of the cables - possiblity observing a mark? Did you check the FSM?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I know the answer to this, but I need to think about this. I had this problem on that gold car. I feel like the answer is very specific placement of the cables - possiblity observing a mark? Did you check the FSM?
Followed cable and follower replacement instructions in the manual. Starts to pull backwards and hits the roofline instead of folding down. Vents and closes. I have another motor to see if the cam is off.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the cable was binding. That I'm not sure about... I don't remember on the 9000 whether there is a lever which forces the sunroof down or whether there is a guide. I feel like it's a lever...

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I got bad news that my spare head is garbage... No idea what happened or how, but it's real bad. Balls.

I picked up a replacement from the Saab dismantlers this afternoon. They did not have heads specifically from a turbo, but they had a selection of B234I heads (NG900S) and after double-checking part numbers, it's clear all T5 heads are the same save the cams, so I should be fine... I've got two sets of turbo T5 cams so that's not a roadblock.

IDK what triggered it but after dropping the head off I suddenly became paranoid about differences between the '96 B234i head I picked up and what was on the car. After a bunch of reading, I think I determined that some time in 1997 there was a changeover, with earlier heads using a 1/8" NPT ECT sensor, and later heads using an M12x1.5 ECT sensor. That's when I discovered the head on this car has a casting date (I assume) of 00 and a matching M12 sensor. It seems this isn't the first time this car has blown a head gasket!

Orrrr.... maybe worse? I guess I need to crawl underneath and find the engine number...

I'm really torn on the ECT sensor thing... the old 1/8" NPT sensor is actually somewhat difficult to find. I am 99% sure I could tap out the threads to M12 ... M12 is a LOT bigger than 1/8' NPT. OTOH, what are the chances it'll need another sensor in its lifetime?

Can anyone confirm the older head, with 1/8" NPT sensor is the actual/correct sensor for a '95 9000? It would put my mind at ease...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I got bad news that my spare head is garbage... No idea what happened or how, but it's real bad. Balls.

I picked up a replacement from the Saab dismantlers this afternoon. They did not have heads specifically from a turbo, but they had a selection of B234I heads (NG900S) and after double-checking part numbers, it's clear all T5 heads are the same save the cams, so I should be fine... I've got two sets of turbo T5 cams so that's not a roadblock.

IDK what triggered it but after dropping the head off I suddenly became paranoid about differences between the '96 B234i head I picked up and what was on the car. After a bunch of reading, I think I determined that some time in 1997 there was a changeover, with earlier heads using a 1/8" NPT ECT sensor, and later heads using an M12x1.5 ECT sensor. That's when I discovered the head on this car has a casting date (I assume) of 00 and a matching M12 sensor. It seems this isn't the first time this car has blown a head gasket!

Orrrr.... maybe worse? I guess I need to crawl underneath and find the engine number...

I'm really torn on the ECT sensor thing... the old 1/8" NPT sensor is actually somewhat difficult to find. I am 99% sure I could tap out the threads to M12 ... M12 is a LOT bigger than 1/8' NPT. OTOH, what are the chances it'll need another sensor in its lifetime?

Can anyone confirm the older head, with 1/8" NPT sensor is the actual/correct sensor for a '95 9000? It would put my mind at ease...
My 94 has the 1/8" between the coolant ports on the RH side. The same # is used through 1998.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My 94 has the 1/8" between the coolant ports on the RH side. The same # is used through 1998.
Thanks... The cutover is somewhere in the middle, but I don't know for sure where... Possibly after 9000 production actually ended!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Oddly, eeuroparts says the sensor is backordered, but they have them listed on ebay with "more than 10 available." LAME.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just realized I have an '87 900 intake manifold in the garage, which uses that NPT coolant sensor. Since nobody seems to care about old intake manifolds (including me) I think I may try to tap it to M12 and see how it goes. If it turns out well, I've learned something. :D

21 - 37 of 37 Posts