SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is 1998 saab 900 models as good or better in reliability and life expectancy than the 1993 saab 900 models?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Less fatal flaws, yes.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I think that you're asking the wrong bunch. Ask the NG 900 guys about their experience, then look to us for ours. They are two completely different cars.

The '98 will have 5 years on the '93 which is a considerable advantage.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't think you can compare them by the year. The major factor is whether you have good taste or not. Of course owning a c900 is good evidence of that.

man I'm a c900 snob aren't I? :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
C900 and ng900

Supposedly the c900's have better handling/road holding, but i've never driven a NG900 so can't say for sure.

Always thought the NG's looked a bit like a boat from the from end:cheesy: .

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Si said:
Supposedly the c900's have better handling/road holding
By a long shot. The handling on the NG900 can be brought up to teh same standard, but when stock they have an alarming lightness in the front end - keeps trying to break away in the corners.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Body pannels

I would'nt be suprised if the NG900 panneling was a lot lighter than the c900 aswell, I struggle to move my bonnet on my own but you can pretty much throw my mates astra (Vaux......GM) bonnet about it's that light, the wing's ways less than my cat.

Whether the body/chassis is more ridgid/better on a C900 i don't know, but it could be given the better handling.

c900's were built by a company that make Jet fighters, NG's are built by a company that make, errrrrrm Corsa's!!!!!;)

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I just bombed my 82 T8 at very high rate of speed through many miles of up and down long sweepers and twisties. (don't know what though, silly speedo burries at 85 mph.) Car stuck to road like glue. No drift, no understeer, hardly any roll.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Si said:
c900's were built by a company that make Jet fighters, NG's are built by a company that make, errrrrrm Corsa's!!!!!;)
They were built by a car company that was shored up by a truck company [because it actually turned a profit] using a triumph chassis. Having spent time behind the wheel of both [and now have some serious vert' miles in both in stock condition] both cars are bit boatlike, new900 is more vague though and doesn't give confidence, but the driver will give up long before the car lets go; now the vert's, if you're a serious car driver don't do the old one, truely awful in comparison.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si

They were built by a car company that was shored up by a truck company [because it actually turned a profit] using a triumph chassis. Having spent time behind the wheel of both [and now have some serious vert' miles in both in stock condition] both cars are bit boatlike, new900 is more vague though and doesn't give confidence, but the driver will give up long before the car lets go; now the vert's, if you're a serious car driver don't do the old one, truely awful in comparison.

sorry, just could'nt think of another vaux at the time...wondered how long it would be before i wound up a NG driver:cheesy: .

NG forum would probably be more suited to the Q as i'm sure alot of them would have moved on from a c900 to a NG900.

As far as C900 goes, I recon they are more than a match for many modern cars, fuel economy aside.

(ps the NG V6 wheels are really nice, really do think they look wicked...creep creep:cheesy: )

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Si said:
well said.

Really the only thing the two cars have in common is 3 digits, Nine Zero Zero. Had they called it something else as they did later on aka the 93 the two cars would never figure in the same sentence. The NG's windscreen is flat, the spoiler is tiny and the aero kit is almost unoticeable. I'm trying not to bash the ng900 but it's so tempting.

but I won't. :cheesy:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You have to admit the NG looks very good on paper. Very nice and clean lines, C900esque, nice drivetrains, sexy interior.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
900t said:
You have to admit the NG looks very good on paper. Very nice and clean lines, C900esque, nice drivetrains, sexy interior.
No I don't have to admit it. It's conservative and dull looking and they are a dime a dozen over here. :cheesy:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
cinemarr said:
Really the only thing the two cars have in common is 3 digits, Nine Zero Zero.
and a little rather insignificant detail of the same engineering team made both cars 'happen'
cinemarr said:
The NG's windscreen is flat, the spoiler is tiny and the aero kit is almost unoticeable.
less to compensate for I guess :lol:

look the similarity is striking I cannot believe I still have to point it out, one of the design edicts of the new 900 is that it MUST look like a Saab from any angle - any distance, look...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ragtopcav said:
and a little rather insignificant detail of the same engineering team made both cars 'happen'
less to compensate for I guess :lol:

look the similarity is striking I cannot believe I still have to point it out, one of the design edicts of the new 900 is that it MUST look like a Saab from any angle - any distance, look...

no just less style, that's all. But having said that coming off as someone bashing the NG900 I still like them when I see them on the street but most of the drivers over here turn out to be mothers or old grannys. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
ng vs c

What are the NG boxes like, as they are really the bain of any c900 modder, do the NG modders have the same problems?

Can you put a NG up to 300bhp without shredding the box?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts