SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 900 V6 Auto which is baffling the garage. It has developed a serious rattle from the belt end when the engine is under load. The garage changed one of the pulleys on the end of the engine, which cured it for four miles. The rattle - which is speed sensitive - re-started after I accelerated hard.

They thought it might be the alternator, but apparently not. They then fitted a new serpentine belt. Still no cure.

The engine is perfectly smooth and quiet when revved with the autobox in 'park'. The rattle is very metallic and quite loud and gets louder with more revs.

Any ideas? I wondered if it might be something to do with the tensioner arm rather than the pulleys? The car has done 131K with a full dealer history. The cambelt was changed at 102K

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar problem which turned out to be the timing belt, or rather the associated pullies. Once all was replaced the problem went away. When was your timing belt changed last?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Hmmmm, if I were to guess, I would seriously take a look at the motor mount there. It is located at the front passenger side of the car. The airconditioning compressor and the power steering pulley both mount to it. I would look at that and maybe even just have the business end of it replaced. If you have alot of miles on the car, chances are it is due for replacement anyhow.

Tboy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V6 problems

Thanks guys, but the garage called and found the problem. It was the main crankshaft pulley. Apparently it's on a rubber mount which was breaking up. Under load, the pulley was moving and causing the very pronounced clanking. It started 10 days ago with a loud squeak, which soon turned to a rattle and now a death clank. All in all, the car probably travelled 25 miles between the first noise and failure.

Incidently, the timing belt was changed at 102k and its now done 131k. The garage's first thoughts were that one of the guide pulleys were at fault, then the alternator.

By the way, when I thought I needed an alternator I found that the Saab V6 needs a 120mpa unit. In the UK, the GM Calibra V6/air-con powertrain (which is the same as the Saab's) just needed a 100mpa rating. The only other vehicle with this super-powerful alternator seemed to be the UK Police-spec GM Omega (aka Caddy Catera). Needless to say, the Saab alternator was twice as expensive as a more mainstream unit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The main difference about the saab v6 alternator is it has a snorkal instead of a electric fan on the opel.

newsed1 said:
Thanks guys, but the garage called and found the problem. It was the main crankshaft pulley. Apparently it's on a rubber mount which was breaking up. Under load, the pulley was moving and causing the very pronounced clanking. It started 10 days ago with a loud squeak, which soon turned to a rattle and now a death clank. All in all, the car probably travelled 25 miles between the first noise and failure.

Incidently, the timing belt was changed at 102k and its now done 131k. The garage's first thoughts were that one of the guide pulleys were at fault, then the alternator.

By the way, when I thought I needed an alternator I found that the Saab V6 needs a 120mpa unit. In the UK, the GM Calibra V6/air-con powertrain (which is the same as the Saab's) just needed a 100mpa rating. The only other vehicle with this super-powerful alternator seemed to be the UK Police-spec GM Omega (aka Caddy Catera). Needless to say, the Saab alternator was twice as expensive as a more mainstream unit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi I have just read your email about the problem, glad its sorted.

The 'main crankshaft pulley' as you described it is actually called a 'Torsion Damper' as its rubber mounted to take up the shock load from the ac compressor and power steering pump. - there was a warranty issue on later models with the part failing - but this caused the 2 parts to separate and cause the aux belt to come off the rollers - never known the old style to fail - but then again they are 8 years old now. the last time i quoted one from VX with discount was around £35 mark plus vat - there was a much lighter one made from pressed steel on the last V6 engines which will fit the Saab V6 aswell.

Glad you got it sorted anyway
newsed1 said:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts