SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning!

I think I am posting in the right location as this is 900 related.

So after blowing my original B engine 2 years ago and having a 1991 turbo engine sat waiting to get transplanted, its finally being finalised.

To summarise, Saab 99 Combi Coupe now with a B202L Turbo engine from a 1991 C900. Lucas setup.

We have got to the stage where engine is in, firewall sorted, left side engine mount sorted, gearshift sorted and engine has power and cranks with the key.

Currently, on the on position, both wires coming off injectores have positive feed. I've read that only when cranking do the injectors have ground - We haven't confirmed this (hopefully tomorrow) but is it normal for both wires to have positive?

Also we have continuity from dizzy to ECU but no power in the on position nor I believe at cranking as there is no spark.

My untrained guesses are/could be the following;

Does this engine have a Crank position sensor? The main one I find on ebay for example does not fit my car but I therefore don't know which it uses.

Grounding issues somewhere

Missing a vital sensor somewhere as a few wires have nothing plugged into them (mainly stuff the car does not have - wiring is the full 900 loom plus the old loom for lights etc)

Does the fuel pump only turn on at crank position? Mine is rigged up where it switches on in the on position (electric pump).

Thanks for far! Hopefully I can get it running soon!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I would post this on the main c900 board. Lucas EFI expertise is limited unfortunately... it was only ever available in the UK, so nobody else anywhere else knows about it. :(

Sounds like an awesome project though... 16vT 99 was always on my to-do list!

Too little too late: I would seriously consider converting that thing to Trionic 5. Less moving parts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree too. My problem is at the moment I don't have a basis to work from.
I just found out yesterday I believe that the wiring harness has an EZK connector so this may have been a 900i but when I bought the engine/harness it was a turbo 900 B202. Unless they came with these connectors are standard to all harnesses - or the car was upgraded at some point. The problem now is i'm putting a puzzle together. I do have the possibility to get hold of a 1993 9000CSE turbo which I think has the right parts for an upgrade?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Something seems off... I think the Lucas injection was only available on turbos, and EZK was only available on non-turbos. Maybe what you are looking at is the APC connector? It exists in the same place as the EZK module would be and the connectors look similar.

I am pretty sure 1993 is the one year 9000 you do *not* want... '93 was Trionic 5.2, which is a one year only affair. It works a bit differently, and all the development is done on 5.5 which is 1994 and later. You can find 5.5 in any 9000, 900, or 9-3 from 1994 to 1999 *except* 9-3 Viggen/Aero models with the 2.3t. Scavenging a GM900 is the easiest approach - the factory wiring harness works well on the 99/c900 engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
MCS flywheels seem pretty reasonable to me: even a lightened one is not too dear, and you're getting the crank sensor mount at the same time. They're balanced and are ready to go for only a couple hundred bucks. Try getting a machinist to do this for less. I agree they're well worth it.

Regarding the injectors - Unless the Lucas injection is sequential-fire, you have to have ALL of the injectors unplugged to not see +12v at the negative side of the plug. All the injectors are grouped to the same positive and the same ground source (ECU), so the pixies will sneak through the coils of the injectors and will sit at the negative side of the plug until the ECU grounds them. If you pull only one plug you'll see this because the pixies are sneaking through the other injectors and then back through the wiring. If you pull all four injector plugs off the injectors there will be no way for the pixies to get from the positive to the negative side of the plug, and you'll read a floating +0v there (give or take).

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
LOL @ pixies.

CU14 is definitely batch fired, although unlike Bosch pintle-type injectors CU14 uses disc-type injectors. Not sure what that means electrically speaking, but as a technical detail pretty cool. I'm honestly not sure what the limitation of that design is, or why it never really caught on, but I sure do love the Tomco disc-type injectors on my XR4Ti!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MCS flywheels seem pretty reasonable to me: even a lightened one is not too dear, and you're getting the crank sensor mount at the same time. They're balanced and are ready to go for only a couple hundred bucks. Try getting a machinist to do this for less. I agree they're well worth it.

Regarding the injectors - Unless the Lucas injection is sequential-fire, you have to have ALL of the injectors unplugged to not see +12v at the negative side of the plug. All the injectors are grouped to the same positive and the same ground source (ECU), so the pixies will sneak through the coils of the injectors and will sit at the negative side of the plug until the ECU grounds them. If you pull only one plug you'll see this because the pixies are sneaking through the other injectors and then back through the wiring. If you pull all four injector plugs off the injectors there will be no way for the pixies to get from the positive to the negative side of the plug, and you'll read a floating +0v there (give or take).
Thanks for this. This is quite significant as this can rule out the possible issue with injectors. I've tried 3 ECU's with identical results. All have both positive feed to both wires, no spark and dizzy no power (but continuity).

I will check tomorrow and unplug all injectors.

If this is true, then it narrow it down more to the dizzy and no spark. The engine came without a few things so my worry is there is one relay, one connector that isn't present that is somehow shutting the engine down and not letting it start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts