SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While scouring the junkyard for a center console, I got a nice surprise that I didn't know about: A clarion stock amplifier hidden behind a catch tray.

It uses a DIN plug as input from the head unit. My question is: Do any new stereo units use this type of DIN plug anymore?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but I have the original stock amplifier, and I am wondering how I could hook up a stereo to it...

·
Banned
213 Posts
i know exactly what your talking about, except i haven't been able to remove mine to take a look at it. could you snap some photos perhaps and post them, maybe i could give you some insight, car stereo is my forte so to speak.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
thepuma said:
It uses a DIN plug as input from the head unit. My question is: Do any new stereo units use this type of DIN plug anymore?
Most (all?) of the Saab Clarion units use a non-standard 8-pin connector. If you use the amp, it will take some wiring, but that's not hard to do.

Just be aware of a few facts:
1. The Saab Clarion amplifiers are factory connected to a pre-amp output from the head unit, not the amplified output. If you are planning to simply put the Saab amplifier in series with the head unit amplifier (connecting to the speaker output, that is), you will not get optimal sound and you may damage the Saab Clarion amplifier.
2. The Saab Clarion amplifiers are rated at a fairly small 12 watts for most models and years. Despite what you hear at Best Buy, et al, this is NOT a bad thing, it's just something to be considered. Because of the absolutely ridiculous way that car stereo amplifier power output is quoted right now, the Saab 12 watt is probably roughly comparable to what the big box retailers will tell you is a 40-watt unit. The new units are quoted on peak power without regard to bandwidth or distortion. The Saab amplifier is more reasonably specified, but the remainder of the specs I don't know right off the top of my head.
3. You are dealing with a 12+ year-old unit. This can be frustrating.

Call Wasyl at Saabradio.com for more details on the unit that you picked up. He may be able to help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want to see if I can use something I picked up at the junkyard for 8 bucks, and has the stock speaker connectors.

I was thinking about using a new aftermarket head unit and wiring it to the old amp.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
thepuma said:
I just want to see if I can use something I picked up at the junkyard for 8 bucks, and has the stock speaker connectors.

I was thinking about using a new aftermarket head unit and wiring it to the old amp.
Yes, yes, just do it. I've given you the facts, go ahead.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Can i run 1500W rms with 4AWG cable?
the amplifier manual will tell you waht is required

4awg does 85 amps I believe

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
the amplifier manual will tell you waht is required

4awg does 85 amps I believe
Yes, go by what the amp manual says.

85 amps is correct. What is the speaker impedance? That is a critical number for determining the amount of power going through the system.

Also, be advised that 1500w RMS is the rating of the amplifier, not the actual power moving through the cable at any given time. Generally, the system will output much closer to 1 watt RMS (yes, ONE watt) most of the time, with peaks of around 10 watts. Through 4 ohms, 10 watts will be about 100 dB SPL at 3 feet, or the equivalent of a metal stamping machine in an automotive assembly plant. It is plenty. 1500w peak, according to the chart, would result in immediate pain and ear damage at 120+ dB.

You buy large amplifiers to power large arrays of speakers or to have tons of headroom for high dynamic range. Even for the latter, personally I think that 400-500w RMS 20-20,000 Hz @<0.3% THD is plenty. The problem is that most amplifiers now are rated on a single point around 1,000 Hz and do not state a distortion spec, and so the numbers are hugely inflated over what people used to spec and install.

I wouldn't hesitate to use 4 gauge cable because I know that with my listening habits I would never challenge the cable rating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts