SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching, got too many unrelated hits, sorry if this has been asked.

Got a 900 SID-3 Saturday and popped it in to replace my SID-2.

There are a few pixels out on the SID-3. It's entirely readable, but doesn't look right. My old SID-2 is perfect most of the time, although it sometimes will temporarily lose some pixels or even the bottom row of the top line.

One thought I had was to try swapping the screen from my SID-2 into the SID-3. Is this feasible? I could also try the various repairs I've seen. I have assumed all along that they're mostly for the 9-3 SID, but they apply to the 900 SID as well, correct?

I have also read of people trying to fix their SID and winding up worse off. This has me thinking to just leave the SID-3 and all its fun toys in place. Sending it out to be fixed doesn't seem worthwhile at this point.

(At my favourite you-pull junkyard, I got:
  • the SID-3
  • Saab/Scania hood badge with 97% paint (but I snapped one of the posts while removing)
  • Saab rear floormats, not perfect but perfectly usable as floormats
  • rear-of-console ashtray; mine was missing
  • right-hand midflap to replace the one hanging one by one screw
  • air filter box with all three rubber-mount screws intact; snorkel was about the only thing keeping my filter box from hitting the serpentine
  • upper rad hose, AC-Delco, in good shape, certainly newer than my hose
  • power steering pump--I don't fully trust my seal fix, so this is a cheap backup
All for $40 which seems like a good deal.

The SID-3 was out of a new-in-the-yard crashed '97 900 Talladega, and the interior was MINT. Even the driver's lumbar support adjuster worked. It's the grey interior with white leather door inserts and white leather seats, very well maintained. If anyone needs Talladega interior parts, get to Cookstown Auto Wreckers off the 400 by 89 ASAP before they get dirtied up as usual in a wrecking yard.)

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Usually the screen isn't the issue so swapping won't help. Since you have a spare, though, I would try the fix on the SID-2.

Nice score on the $40.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually the screen isn't the issue so swapping won't help. Since you have a spare, though, I would try the fix on the SID-2.
I was hoping that the ribbon cable issue was on the screen end, guess not. I'll open up the SID-2 which should give me a better idea about the foam fix.

Nice score on the $40.
Yeah, I think so. The counter guy looked at the stuff as a pulled it out of a grimy bag (I was grimy too), and I could see the gears going in his head, "how much is this junk worth to the customer?"

I always had a joke with my brother, back when I owned a Plymouth Reliant (wagon, of course), and he had a Buick Regal. Same part for a K-car was always half the price. K-car owners were poor, Buick owners were affluent, and paid more. Seems like Saab is a bit of a sad-sack brand right now.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
say mate,

where is this yard?
Cookstown Auto Wreckers. Just off the 400, about an hour's drive north of Toronto. They have several GM 900s and a couple of 9-3s. No 9-5s or older Saabs.

Mike's Auto Wreckers up on the mountain above Stoney Creek has a 9000 and at least one older 900 in addition to the GM 900s and 9-3s. I suspect Mike's is more expensive.

I stopped by Standard in April, up in NE Scarborough, but they had zippo....well one hard-to-access 9-3. Forget them.

If you're interested in a junkyard run one Saturday, let me know. If I have nothing else planned, I'm game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts