SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day everyone, great forum. I have just purchased a 900 v6 which died on me the other day. I'm pretty sure I've traced the problem to the fuel pump but just need a bit more info to be sure. I wanted to check the relay before I pull the pump out but i am having a bit of difficulty identifying which one it is because of the differences between the U.S and Australian relay layout. Would anyone be able to tell me the identifying no. on the actual relay and is the fuel pump relay the same as the several others like the ignition and wiper intermittant relay?
Thanks in advance,
Daniel

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Fuel pump relay

30......Orange......... (common)
85......Yellow/Gray ..(ECU)
86......Green/Red.... (main relay)
87......Gray/Red.......(fuse 32, then to the pump)
87......Black/White....(fuse 38, then to the lambda sensor)

This is from the Haynes for a '96 900 I4; I see no reason why the V6 should be different in this area...
When I would test the pump, I'd run current directly to the fuel pump, bypassing everything(CPS,relays, fuses, switches)

http://www.geocities.com/ng900set/Electrical/relays1.html?200622

An excellent pictorial/info packet on relays from PMI.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The fuel pump can be tested easily, even with engine and ignition off, and only on battery power.

A quick and simple test is to connect a test lead (or a 14-gauge wire) from the positive battery terminal to the lower terminal of the fuel pump fuse (after pulling the fuse out). On my car, this is fuse #32. This applies power to the fuel pump.

With the engine off, if you flip the back passenger-side seat up to hear better, you can hear the pump run. You can also hear a hiss from above the engine, as fuel circulates throught the fuel rail (the hiss is the sound made by the fuel pressure regulator). Since the engine is off, the fuel injectors are not opening, and no fuel is going into the cylinders.

A better test is to connect a multi-meter set to a 10-amp range in series with the test lead. A good fuel pump will draw between 6 and 7 amps with engine off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts