SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
On one of my 1991 5 door 900 Saab’s I need to replace what the Swede’s call rear “länkarm” what I think translates too rear trailing arm in English . Is this a difficult part to change? Also I’m finding it really hard to find this part online. Any help is greatly appreciated
Troy

·
Registered
252 Posts
Are you talking about the piece labelled "rearward arm" in this picture?

It's easy to get off - just 2 bolts - but they're probably rusty. You'll want to support the axle on the side you're working on as well to avoid any surprises. I'm not sure where you'd find that part unless you get lucky on eBay or at a junkyard.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Yep, trailing arm is what it's generally called. You'll never find that part new - I doubt it was available even 20 years ago. Junkyards, ebay, random dude parting out a Saab.

Replacing can be difficult due to rust - you need to disconnect it from the body, the axle, and the shock... and the shock bolts are notoriously annoying. In the process, you'll free the spring so you need to manage that. It's an afternoon's work for sure.

You know, every time someone posts one of these "I can't find this part" I get nervous. What if I end up needing one???

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skandix says they have six in stock but 150 euros each ! One just sold on an auction here in Sweden for 10 euros ! Typical
I have a month so we’ll see....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jvanabra - don’t worry I just found dozens of those trail arms on a breakers yard here ! I actually hardly check there these days as they usually come up with nothing when I search for parts but of course as this was a chasis part from accident and rusted out 900s they’ve picked these parts off and they seem to be in abundance ! Phew !!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Good deal - I should probably make an effort to save a whole rear axle. It doesn't take much to permanently wreck one, and it'd be a shame to scrap a whole car because of a silly incident like that. Something for me to be on the lookout for...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jim - Yeah I’ve gotten into the habit of soaking the hardware in linseed oil beginning of winter - works like a charm !

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The latest acquisition is a 1991 red 5 door hatchback 900 - one owner from new but left in a barn for 12 years - mice were living in the front footwells ! Once washed and the interior cleaned I found myself a real beauty which my wife has fallen in love with so instead of fixing up and selling it’s a new family member

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I have a 1980 5-door which has been sadly languishing for a long, long time. It has extremely minor mechanical needs, but being 40 years old has some serious cosmetic needs. I just never make it a priority because it requires such a substantial all-at-once outlay. It's easy to justify a few hundred bucks here and there, but when it comes down to dropping $5k on a 40 year old car that isn't worth $5k, it's tough for me to do. As always, maybe next year...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah get that ! I got lucky with this last one ! Usually in Sweden when they’ve sat for long they rust out here but it was just the trail arms need replacing and some rust repairs to the lower inside of a front door - I’ll probably do the clutch too but overall happy days. I just laid out the equivalent of a 1000 bucks for my 91 3 door for head gasket and timing chain so was hoping not too spend too much. Have a few jobs on the turbo cab before the summer and my 1985 Saab 90 should get some attention - have a couple of motorbikes to work on too. The things we do for the love of machines right ? Anyway another Saab saved from the junkyard is a good day !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts