SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. wonder if anyone has fitted their own towbar to a saab 900 convertible.. mine is a '96 UK model and I plan to take advantage of its generous kerbweight to tow my carava..

if so
  • Does it involve drilling the body?
    Does the bumper need to come off / get cut?
    Are the leccys easy enough to splice in (or is there a socket)
    Is the auto box any good at tugging a caravan?
    What's it like to tow with the roof down?
sorry if it has already been covered.. couldn't find anything much in the search..

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I think most of them are welded without modifications to the bumper, Also, i believe that it will lower ground clearance in the back.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would be more interested about how towing a trailer would shorten the life of a clutch, especially putting a jet ski in and out of the water on a ramp... Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be more interested about how towing a trailer would shorten the life of a clutch, especially putting a jet ski in and out of the water on a ramp... Ron
thats OK, mine's an auto

thanks for those links.. they don't massively help me although I am putting together a picture and every little helps..

In the UK we never weld towbars.. they have to be type approved and therefore made specially for the vehicle. In some cases this involves drilling holes and in some it doesn't.. from my research so far the saab 900 does appear to need drilling.. darn lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts