SaabCentral Forums banner
121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
On c900s I used the "two hammer method" successfully for years. But, Harbor Freight now has cheap ball joint separators I never feel bad about modifying them to fit Saabs.

They fail after a while, but it's another $20 and 20 minutes with a cutoff wheel. It's way less annoying than hammers.
Do you have the part nos? I am going by a Harbor Freight and would like to look at that unit. Thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I knew it was going to take a while, but I finally finished with the front suspension: new boots, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, new control arm bushings, new sway bar bushings, new shocks.

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Fender Bicycle part

Still waiting for my cylinder head, so no time lost.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Pulled the disintegrating foam pad off the seat today.

Beige Ingredient Tints and shades Packing materials Fashion accessory

Is it supposed to be glued down, or has it just become fused over 30 years?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Do you happen to know what they ended up sourcing? I am going through this AGAIN on a T5 head...
BTW, the guy at the machine shop didn't know where the valve guides came from, just that his distributer found them. Said he could get more - I can post his info if you want.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
I'm betting they are ITM or Precision (which might be the same thing). Not a great reputation for those two, but they are indeed available. I'd be interested to know what he came up with though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Timing chain...

Tensioner shows about 18-19mm
Water Automotive tire Liquid Wood Font

Here are the guides:

Wood Hood Grey Bumper Asphalt

Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas

Automotive tire Textile Musical instrument accessory Bag Personal protective equipment

I have a new upper guide and a new split-link chain. Should I do the chain before putting the cylinder head on? Is it possible to do without cranking the engine?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Thats severe stretch , I would be replacing all guides and fitting an endless chain , look at the tracks in the guides , heavy wear .
I havent removed the TC cover in situ , always done this with the engine ou because imo , other bits to do at that stage ..... but it would be fairly easy with the head out the way .
You can spin the engine by the crank pulley if you do roll in a chain , head out the way is just a bonus.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts