SaabCentral Forums banner
341 - 360 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I concur with Jvanbra, if the vitals are good , no bubbles in the coolant, no low oil pressure and no excessive lifter noise ( it can take some time for the lifters to fully "bleed" until which time you get some "ticking") then it is unlikely any harm is being done and it can take a considerable amount of time to "burn off" stuff in the exhaust.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I am pretty sure that's the airbag test connector. Probably says airbag test on it. The diagnostic connector for LH should be under the back seat, on the passenger side.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I am sure that is airbag test connector.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Yes, the connector above says "test air" on it. I found CEL testing info here: 24codes. It talks about the connector under the rear seat, and then says, "900 Convertibles have the test point under the rubber bellows in front of the shifter." I asked because there is no gray/red wire and using the solid gray one did nothing.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
There was a change on convertibles at some point. Maybe '90 but certainly by '91. It's under the rear seat, essentially directly below the right rear speaker.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
Found the connector under the passenger side of the rear seat, as promised.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

It is mounted to the wall, and there is no easy way to see what color wires go to which pins. So I half removed the side panel (fortunately I didn't need to mess with the screws behind the seat back) and pulled the connector out.
Finger Circuit component Wrist Cable Bumper

Wires are red, black, blue/white and gray/white - no gray/red as I was led to believe. However, the gray/white goes to pin 2, which is the pin I expected, so that's what I went with. Got my toggle switch hooked up and read the codes as advertised. Got 12223: air/fuel mixture too lean. First on the list is to check vacuum leaks, so I went right to that broken nipple. The patch I did (silicone) did not hold, so I gently put a small screw in it and tried again. Ran 15 minutes with no lights coming on (still lots of smoke, though). Temperature gauge got about to the middle. Heater on full didn't seem to be blowing very hot. 🙁

Then, for no apparent reason, the wipers began to creep up the windshield. That's weird, says I. Then I see a fine mist of something spraying above the intake side of the engine. Shut it off quick and went to take a look:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim Personal luxury car

Little droplets everywhere. Not coolant - water. No obvious source - until I walked around the front and saw that the hood was almost entirely wet. The washers had been spraying, and the mist was coming down over the top of the open hood. Sigh of relief for the engine, groan of annoyance for the washer system. Turned the electrical back on to check wiper operation. Erratic at best, and moving the lever makes the tach needle bounce around all over the dial. Weird indeed.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Have you noticed Crumbling insulations on any of your looms ?
In an 85 I had ( notoriously bad year for biodegradeable insulation ) all sorts of weird electrical things would happen when I first got that car up and running . wipers coming on , horns going off etc etc ... bottom line was the bare conductors within the body of the loom were making circuits they should not have .

You may also have some bad earth connections ? Have you hooked the ones back up near the thermostat ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
If by looms you mean wiring harness, I have noticed a little bit of crumbling, mostly where it comes around the valve cover. Seemed like it was just the outer wrap, but I will look closer.

I did get those grounds connected by the thermostat. You can sort of see them in the above photo.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
If by looms you mean wiring harness, I have noticed a little bit of crumbling, mostly where it comes around the valve cover. Seemed like it was just the outer wrap, but I will look closer.

I did get those grounds connected by the thermostat. You can sort of see them in the above photo.
looms/harness Tomatoe/tomarto , Open up a section of the outer wrap , if you see what looks like colored sprinkles everywhere you have you answer. Hopefully this isnt your issue and its as simple as bad ground somewhere or a faulty Stalk switch .
Also be sure to CLEAN the main earth points on the crossmemberat the botton of the radiator ,
Follow the ground that comes of the gearbox to see the temination , can be cruddy there

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
It could also just be the wiper stalk itself. I have seen a variety of failures there... Not this specific one, but things like random wipe cycles etc. Getting the harness unplugged from the stalk is a challenge without dropping the knee bolster, but I would start there. Since the only thing is apparently the washers, it seems likely the issue is the stalk.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Check the rod that connects the dial to the heater core. If it fell off, it may look like it's on but not actually be.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Maybe this is the bug...
Hood Amber Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Wiring around the steering column seems ok. Stalk connectors are pretty dirty. Just check connectors for continuity/shorts?
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Yellow Audio equipment

Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Electric blue

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I wouldn't suspect the wiring to the stalk but rather a break in the stalk itself. I'd personally not expect wiring issues on a later c900. It tends to be pretty good.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
your heater rod .... so you see it turn where it connects the the dial , but follow the rod to the heater tap , connected that end ? ( remove LHS speaker and you will have good sight)

Agree with Jvan , focus on the stalk itself for the wipers , start with cleaning

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
Fired up the engine again, with the wiper stalk removed. No wiper creep, but after about 15 minutes, the washers started spraying again.
Cloud Sky Plant Cumulus Tree

Funny thing is, they kept going even after I shut the engine off. I noticed the radiator fan was still running, so I waited...and the washers stopped when the fan turned off. Well, at least I've narrowed it down a bit.

341 - 360 of 421 Posts