SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have an opportunity to purchase a '91 900 convertible. Says it needs a head gasket, but pictures look pretty good. 230k miles, manual. Any hints on things to check when I go look at it. I'm thinking that even with an engine overhaul, it is probably worth the $500 he is asking. What do you all think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If rust is an issue where you are check underneath THOROUGHLY as that will probably decide whether it's a fixer or a parts car.
Cool. Says no rust, but I'll check anyway. Colorado tends to be pretty rust free.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roof in nice condition and works well - two latches and a button. Windows all work. Body in good condition, no rust. Interior could use some work: cracked dash top, stitching coming out of the seats, door panel coming apart a little. Engine looks pretty good. Said he was driving home and had a sudden ball of steam and a pool of coolant underneath. Towed it home and hasn't run it since. We cranked it a little - didn't start up, but sounded reasonable. Did smell coolant after cranking it. Shifter seemed solid.

He has two other 900's in the garage, so he was very happy to sell it to a Saab guy, rather than the guy that came looking to part it out. :oops:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put some water in the radiator and got her started up last night! :D Lots of pretty white smoke out the tail pipe, along with lots of solid black flakes as in the photo below. :( However, this morning there is absolutely no sign of leaks underneath. :)

Have ordered the head gasket kit, timing belt, plugs/wires/cap/rotor, belts, and lots of coolant hoses. Hoses and belts are marked Saab, 1990. :eek:

It is a turbo, so I will get to pluck off that piping. :confused:

Now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive. I will drain the fluids and spray everything with Freeze-off in the meantime.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, already ordered the chain and the studs. Will check the chain guides when I get it open.

Looked like some other threads mention shops screwing up the heads. What should I have them do and not do?

Also, any thoughts on what the black flakes might be? Just carbon buildup in the tail pipe? PO says the car sat for about a year and a half since the HG failure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Did any of the C900s come with remote locking, or is it key only?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Drained the oil pan yesterday. What came out was not pretty. Definitely radiator fluid to start, and then a whole lot of chocolate milkshake...

Any thoughts on cleaning any residue out of the system? I'd rather not have any of this sludge circulating in the engine when I put it back together.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A few questions about my convertible:

1) What are these metal bars below the front bumper? Am I missing a part?

2) Is the spare tire supposed to be upright instead of being underneath the trunk floor? (There is a tire cover, slightly visible in the last photo.)

3) What is this reservoir hiding behind the spare?

4) What are these elastic straps coming out from behind the roof storage?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for that. So, it is missing fog lights, but there's no missing bumper parts, right? (Hard to find a clear photo of that part of the car.) I assume the vacuum tubes both need to be connected to the HVAC reservoir for it to work right (duh).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Been cleaning lots of parts as I go. Here's the turbo...

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Gas Wood Machine Auto part

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Weight reduction!

Cuisine Natural material Plant Asphalt Soil

Just removed five pounds of crud from the engine bay. Mostly from the pass-through areas for the axles and tie rods. Crud was so deep that it was up to the axle shafts.

Pulled out the skid plate to clean it easier...

Grey Automotive tire Bedrock Artifact Art

Wood Grey Automotive exterior Bumper Art

Wood Asphalt Road surface Composite material Soil

Gas Composite material Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Once I could see stuff down there, noticed that both tie rod boots are shot. Easier to just replace the boots, or do both tie rods as well?

Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Plumbing valve Rim Plumbing

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Also, the power steering reservoir was dry, and not much in the hoses or pump. Hoses seem ok, and not a lot of oil around the pump (more up on the fender near the reservoir). I'm thinking just refill and watch for leaks?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Got the top of the block cleaned up today.

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

This is a little concerning, but it is above the piston, so ok?

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 144 Posts