SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
congratulations for this amazing and useful forum. I would like to ask if the version .148
will work on my MY 1997 saab cabriolet? It is hard to find older version memory cards....

thank you

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
I think no - I think you need an older version. v148 will only do 9-3 and 9-5. I am virtually positive v44 will work for 900, but there could also be a version in the middle that would work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the answers... What about Candi? Always for 900ng and what Is the difference of using only tech2 or in combination with tis?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Many thanks for the answers... What about Candi? Always for 900ng and what Is the difference of using only tech2 or in combination with tis?
No CANdi needed on an NG900.

NG900 does not require security access. The only reason you might need TIS would be to program a module. I am not sure how many modules are even programmable on an NG900. On my 2003 9-5, only programmable modules are ECM, TCM, and ACC. If you have a manual 900 with manual climate controls, only possible programming would be ECU.

And by "programming", I mean software update to latest version. To change car's settings, plain old Tech II with V44 is all you need.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe okok. I live in Italy. From which Sellers Is adviceable to purchase One?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Hehe okok. I live in Italy. From which Sellers Is adviceable to purchase One?
You can check the Tech II clone section I guess.

I did have a 1997 NG900, and really you don't "need" a Tech II for that car. There are not nearly as many adjustments or things to set up as on an OG9-3 or 9-5. Depending on what you want to do, it may be best to find someone with a Tech II to do it for you.

This advice would be different if you had a newer car.

The Tech II that I have access to, is a second-hand genuine unit (not clone) from a mechanic who was getting out of the business of Saabs.

On the NG900, I fiddled with the tire size and how the temperature gauge worked. The only place that I know of that a Tech II is essential on an NG900 is if the air bag (SRS) light is on. You need a Tech II to reset (and to troubleshoot, if there really is a fault),

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly i have the srs issue! Also the closest assistance for saabs Is 140 km far from and asked me 50€ Just to switch the srs light off... Also for the dash potentiometers or engine chec since i am planning to not sell the car. I saw that tech1 are almost disappered and more expensive than tech2. So 200€ for a clone could still be a good expense..

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I do not know the capabilities of Tech I (ISAT?) tool. Also, in North America, my 1997 was definitely ODB-II. I would not know for a European-spec car.

I would assume that your underdash connector is the same as ODB II on later cars?

But yes, because the Tech II can be used on Saabs up to 2010, and other cars, it's the best thing to purchase, if you are buying one. Like I said, you can ask on the Tech II Clone thread here, what has been experience of recent purchasers of Tech II clones.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not know the capabilities of Tech I (ISAT?) tool. Also, in North America, my 1997 was definitely ODB-II. I would not know for a European-spec car.

I would assume that your underdash connector is the same as ODB II on later cars?

But yes, because the Tech II can be used on Saabs up to 2010, and other cars, it's the best thing to purchase, if you are buying one. Like I said, you can ask on the Tech II Clone thread here, what has been experience of recent purchasers of Tech II clones.
Yes many thanks for your clear answer. Yes i have OBD2 connector of course. Btw with a standard in Bosch scanner the error detected was srs sensor fault. The guy told me that if i don t want to buy a tech2, i mai try to find an airbag control unit at the junkyard but It can be faulty as well....

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
That's correct, getting a junkyard SRS module can fix the system. BUT, that's usually the case if the system has been triggered by someone removing or disconnecting items that disturb the SRS system, without turning off battery power first.

So, if the light is on because you did some work on the car and accidentally triggered the light, you can try another module.

If the light is on because there really is a problem in the system, the new module will do the same thing: turn on the light and stop working.

Obviously you would want a module from a car that was running okay when it was scrapped. A car in a serious accident where the airbags or seatbelt tensioners went of would not be good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When i bought the car the owner told me that the srs Is on because the steering was took off to remake the leather... I Also took off the steering in order to fix the two typical issues: 1)the sieger ring and 2)the noise when turning and horn started to work by itself. Let s see how many days Will pass until i ll decide to buy the tech2... I will not give up.. hehe next i have already bought the intermediate section of the exhaust

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the 900ng from my region Will benefit Hehe. I will ask 25€ for each srs light ;p

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
All the 900ng from my region Will benefit Hehe. I will ask 25€ for each srs light ;p
Get both the V48 card for your NG900 (and 9000), as well as the 144 card for the newer cars. Forget the NG900, the market for 9-5 and 9-3, especially NG9-3, will make you rich. You will need a CANdi module and a computer with security software on it for the NG9-3 and later 9-5, though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hehe let's see if i will be satisfied in fixing one car (mine) first.... the fact is i am sure if somebody has a saab with this issue i could get much pleasure in helping him for free. quarantine thoughts........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts