SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear hatch window on my 92 900 T has been leaking pretty bad for years so I called around to get it replaced and as expected it's not available. The guy at the glass shop said it's possible that they could remove it and reinstall it but he said it's risky because the glass sometimes shatters. So...

1) can it be sealed without removing it? I tried black caulk between the moulding and the glass and it did just about nothing.
2) if they can remove it successfully are the mouldings around the glass available anywhere? Can they reuse what's there now?
3) Does anyone know a source for these windows? I'm on the East Coast (of the US) and I'm willing to drive to get it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I had this problem with my NG900. Different car, but same issue.

I very much doubt that trying to seal it without removal will do anything useful. The water will run somewhere, and almost certainly where you don't want it to.

A local shop did successfully remove and reseal the glass on my car, though they also fretted that it could break. You want to find an independent shop with good expertise. And it wasn't cheap, like $250, to get it done.

You can look for a parts 900 which could supply a window--or even the entire hatch--if your glass breaks.

Or move to the Atacama desert.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
The back hatch window is pretty easy to remove, all said and done. The risk is less in damage to the glass but damage to the seal, which is irreplaceable. I'd expect a glass shop should be able to handle that. Probably a little sealant on reinstall will get you sorted.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Find a glass shop that will use a product like this:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts