SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 1995 900 convertible V6 that I picked up yesterday.
There are a few oddities I need to sort out but one in particular is intriguing me.
I have no manual and the vast majority of my Saab knowledge is 9000 & 9-5 models.

If the engine is idling and at a standstill, whenever I turn the steering wheel (left or right) I get bing bong and the red triangle on the dash. It will do this one time only and the lamp will go out out once the wheel is centered. Turn the wheel again and the single cycle will repeat. The speedo will also pulse from 0-40 at the same time.
This does not happen however once on the move. At idle only.

The SID will bing bong but give no other message.

I have plugged my Memoscan 380 into the OBD socket but it will not connect and link up so I don't know if there are any DTCs to be read. Quite why the scanner will not connect is another issue of course. It powers up and tries to read before reading 'link failure'

Any clues on the steering wheel question (or the scanner of course!)?

ta

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would have a friend turn the steering wheel while you look under the hood for movement - especially around the ABS unit. Also look behind the two front wheels for a loose speed sensor.

Your car is equipped with an ODB-1 system, so unless you have a scanner that will work with that system, it won't connect. Do a search for ODB-1 (or ODB1) because there have been a few posts here about how to ground two pins on the test connector and get a readout on the instrument cluster by means of a flashing light... Ron

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ron

Ok, the rain stopped so I started :)

Car idling and my wife rocking the steering wheel left to right. The alarm is bing bonging and the speedo rising and falling between 0-40 ish.

No movement (unwanted) can be seen on the rack or damage around the firewall area. That well known fall is not at play here.
Both ABS sensors are securely mounted with no damage evident. There is no ABS light on.

One thing I have found however is that with no load on the steering it won't do it. If I have the front wheels off the ground then the wheel can be moved left/right without the warning or bingbong.
The steering is a good bit heavier than I recall 900 steering being and much heavier than my 02 9-5 Aero. Nothing appears untoward though and the system has no leaks and is topped up to the correct level.
There is nothing that I am aware of in the PS system that flags the warning triangle and SID audible warning though...................is there ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts