SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-

Just grabbed a beauty in a used 900 Turbo Vert. But cannot get the radio to work. I tried the code that came with it and still says code. I pulled the radio out, did the dtandard 1 hr sit and entered the CORRECT 4 digit code and still nothing. It does have the equalizer/ single CD that I am not sure works or not? Please any help is appreciated. I hate to pull it out and put in something else.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had the same problem. At the time I read here that it was from entering too many incorrect codes. I replaced the deck. To me the modern unit sounded much nicer. However, it wasn't just a pop out / pop in replacement. On my car I had to run new wiring from the rear speakers to the deck.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
try it with the cd/eq unplugged. If it's the later style stereo with 3 din plug cables on the back of the sleeve, you may need to have a jumper cap in place of the cd player plug

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I had this happen about 6 months back when I entered the wrong code too many times (I am not getting old! I do not need glasses! :roll:)

I found a thread somewhere about this...something about waiting for a couple hours and then you can enter the code. I just can't remember if it was wait with the ignition on or off, but after a couple hours I was able to re-enter the correct code.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that as well and after entering the right code, it still says code? I tried pulling the fuzes, pulling the cd player everything. Guess It is time for a new one.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Kplant - did you get it? If not - try pushing the BAND button twice, then try the code.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tried that and no go. Serial numbers match and code is good. 5442, just when it is inputted display goes back to code.
I tried removing deck, cd deck, fuses everything but no luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If all else fails, You could always try the old trick (or wives tale ) and put the unit in the freezer overnight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will try anything at this point. Voodoo curse, chanting whatever works.
She is classic as is and I hate to replace the radio, speakers with some best buy Sunday special

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will try anything at this point. Voodoo curse, chanting whatever works.
She is classic as is and I hate to replace the radio, speakers with some best buy Sunday special
Don't rule out the aftermarket route. The previous owner of my car installed a system that shocked me when I first listened to it. Pioneer head unit, amps and cd changer in the trunk, subwoofer in the passenger footwell......makes driving that 'vert a blast! The old Clarion cd player remains as a tribute to the old system....

·
Registered
18 Posts
All-

Just grabbed a beauty in a used 900 Turbo Vert. But cannot get the radio to work. I tried the code that came with it and still says code. I pulled the radio out, did the dtandard 1 hr sit and entered the CORRECT 4 digit code and still nothing. It does have the equalizer/ single CD that I am not sure works or not? Please any help is appreciated. I hate to pull it out and put in something else.
Hi, I'm new to the forum, new to Saabs, not new to old cars or radios and thought I'd chime in. I picked up my first Saab (a 91 900 turbo convertible) last week.

You mentioned you did "the standard 1 hr sit" after you pulled the radio out. The 60 minute time period needs to occur with power applied to the radio, otherwise it will not unlock. Make sure it is on for 60 minutes or more before you try to enter a code. This is common to Clarion and Blaupunkt radios.

If you need a good radio with a working code I have one. It is missing the volume knob, which you could take from your unit. The tape functions are goofy (tapes sometimes get stuck) but it otherwise works quite well.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
And if you need to clear the wrong code the first time, you hold the Band button down for about 10 seconds, pushing it twice will do nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys. I did both and still nothing. I am wondering if there is an issue with CD/Eq. I dont see any lights on that unit at all. Does this come on once the code isaccepted by the main unit?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
thanks guys. I did both and still nothing. I am wondering if there is an issue with CD/Eq. I dont see any lights on that unit at all. Does this come on once the code isaccepted by the main unit?
Your cd/equalizer should lamp up when the radio powers on.

I can only relate this anecdotally...but I was once told that the head unit has a plug in the back where the equalizer plugs into it and if that is unplugged, the radio will "think" it's being stolen and won't accept codes. Units that don't have the cd/equalizer have a plug in it that emulates the connection.

Don't kill the messenger...just what I've been told by a fellow Saabster.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
ok even if the display on the radio jut says code?
Si senor. You should have power at the cd/equalizer if there's power at the head unit even if it just says "CODE" I would bet you're either unplugged in the back or unplugged in the back ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats more than likely it. Now biggest question is where to find out if either is unplugged? Since both are mounted with the respected cage, then the main console will have to be removed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts