SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - have not long acquired a 900 Carlsson and have also managed to track down a set of 16" super aeros to fit to it.

I was wondering about tyres to fit the new wheels and am considering either Toyo Proxes TR1 205/45/16 or 195/50/16 after advice from another thread.
Would anyone have the definitive answer on what's the best size to avoid arch rubbing issues and tram lining from too wide a tyre.Don't mind a lower profile but not ultra low!!
Thanks in advance for any advice given;ol;

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I have those wheels on my vert and they do indeed look good in my eyes. The tyres I have are 205/60/16 and they came with the wheels but were in excellent condition with little wear, so it was 'Hobson's Choice'. They did rub when provoked which I cured with stiffer springs at the rear which in my opinion improved handling, but do not tramline. I might add that the wider type will certainly highlight any play in your ball joints which will then become apparent with tramlining, but not if the joints are OK. I think both of the tyres you mention would be fine. The wider 205 tyre OK because you have the shallow 45 section, which may give you a hard ride but misses the arch. The 195 will be fine anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Peva for the advice - always good to hear from someone in the know as i'm new to 900's!
The car currently has 205/55/15 Toyo Proxes and handles fine on those.
I have googled some pics of 45 and 50 profile tyres and i'm leaning towards the 50 as i like to see some tyre on the sidewall

205/45/16

205/50/16

hoping i can use the 50 profile without any probs;ol;

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've got 205/45s with super aeros on my Tally SPG. Absolutely no rubbing.

On my black SPG I've got 205/50s. Rubs occasionally with stock SPG springs & KYB shocks. Normally the rub happens on dips at highway speed & not so much over bumps at low-speed.

Pix of my cars in my garage for comparison sake.

Your car will look great! ;ol; Please post pix after you've completed your installation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks Greg - 3 great looking 900's you've got there!

This info is leaning me towards the 45 profile as I would like to avoid the wheel arch issues - will post some pics when i've fitted them;ol;

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Looks great! ;ol; Very nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great! ;ol; Very nice.
Thanks Greg and Peva - your advice was invaluable in helping me make the right tyre choice. There are also some cars in the gallery that looked right with this tyre and wheel combo.;ol;

Took a drive in the sunshine today - this Saab thing is definately getting into my bloodstream:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts