SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I just picked up a 90 Saab 9000 turbo two weeks ago. The car was sitting for five years. It cleaned up really nice. It’s a automatic with 203200 miles.
    D1BDBE29-8069-4C46-A39B-5D500C550E9B.jpeg
    67599B8B-485C-4BE7-961C-27532AB0112D.jpeg
    8ED80E13-0F9A-4C04-BEA6-3CBFDF2F9092.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice.

The only thing I would say is, I put clear corners on my 93, 9000 griffin.

Really sets it off nicely, but I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

For what it is worth, my 2 9000 CDs were the nicest ride of my Saabs.
I still have a CSI, the griffin and a 92 900s vert. Monte Carlo Yellow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ! I was thinking about putting clear corners on it and maybe putting some aero wheels on it. I’ve always wanted a 9000. I wanted a manual hatchback but now that I have this automatic CD I really like the look of the saloon 4 door. I was amazed at how little I had to do to it to put it back on the road after sitting five years. The car rides really good and the automatic turbo has good power.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Looks like we have sister cars. I think the CD wheels are better looking than the 3-spokes, but that's my opinion. The 5-door is easier to find hatch parts for than the trunk but you get a solid deck for audio modifications which I know I will be making. OH, how is the rear decor panel looking? Mine was repainted once already and I've had to strip it. Still trying to decide how I want to handle that since it's look bad with nothing on the rear trunk face.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car's interior was punished by the sun so the dash has a crack down the middle, the rear deck looks bad and my seats are dried and cracked. I purchased a dash cover and a rear deck cover. I'm going to try your methods for repair on my seats. The wheels are growing on me so I might keep them. a friend is willing to sell me the three spokes for a good price.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like my car to look like this when I’m done with it. I like the looks of the three spoke in this pic.
4E7F9CE1-18B0-4527-9F60-0713CBDE6F0D.png

·
Registered
287 Posts
The car's interior was punished by the sun so the dash has a crack down the middle, the rear deck looks bad and my seats are dried and cracked. I purchased a dash cover and a rear deck cover. I'm going to try your methods for repair on my seats. The wheels are growing on me so I might keep them. a friend is willing to sell me the three spokes for a good price.
The seat covers are a lot of work to repair but if you only have torn stitches you can hand-sew the panels back together with upholstery thread. Get a heavy duty thimble and a repair needle set with the large and curved hand needles. If you are unsure about the edge stability of the panels you can go back after you sew them in and glue leather or vinyl patches over the seams about 2 inches into the panel spaces. Hot soapy water soak will help soften and clean the leather. You can apply oil to the front and the back if the material is really dried out. Automotive leather is always coated in a polymer wear layer so if the surface is extremely degraded, cracked and peeling you will have to either replace the panel or perform a color-matched restoration for the whole seat section.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As far as dash repairs I'll be looking at mine soon and deciding how much will be left as-is and what I'll be willing to risk. I have minimal crack repair experience but I have installed pre-formed cover skins and repaired PVC door panels and re-dyed them. Usually when you have pvc crusted impact foam dash tops, and they split, they never look right again even with hot patches. If mine is really bad it may get structural repairs and a real leather skin since I have a huge piece of black leather laying around.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been enjoying this car, maybe a little to much. I thought that It was out of the hibernation phase after 2500 miles with no issues. I now have a bad oil leak from one of the oil cooler hoses. I removed them both and it was a pain to get to the oil filter housing. I don’t see anywhere that has new hoses. I am going to try to get them reconstructed at a place I’ve used before that specialize in hydrologic hoses.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a very hard time trying to find a hydraulic shop that would fix my hoses. I went to at least 10 shops. Finally a Napa machine shop fixed them for me. The oil cooling lines are no longer available anywhere! I have never had such a hard time getting a part for any of my Saab’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve been enjoying this car, maybe a little to much. I thought that It was out of the hibernation phase after 2500 miles with no issues. I now have a bad oil leak from one of the oil cooler hoses. I removed them both and it was a pain to get to the oil filter housing. I don’t see anywhere that has new hoses. I am going to try to get them reconstructed at a place I’ve used before that specialize in hydrologic hoses.
I share this pain, spent two nights trying to figure out how to remove lines without unbolting the top engine mount. Finally did it and am plugging the holes with oil drain plugs with the correct thread pitch + running an oil temp gauge to keep an eye on engine temps.

there is a lot of speculation I’ve read throughout this forum concerning the necessity of the cooler starting MY that has water cooled turbo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I share this pain, spent two nights trying to figure out how to remove lines without unbolting the top engine mount. Finally did it and am plugging the holes with oil drain plugs with the correct thread pitch + running an oil temp gauge to keep an eye on engine temps.

there is a lot of speculation I’ve read throughout this forum concerning the necessity of the cooler starting MY that has water cooled turbo.
So you are eliminating the oil lines? That is interesting, I will have to read up on that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So you are eliminating the oil lines? That is interesting, I will have to read up on that.
mine were leaking horribly and probably have been for years before I got the car this past November, so much so that that area of the engine bay paint is probably ruined.Rather than replace them I am going to cap the inlet/outlet off and watch temps via a Marshall oil temp gauge and adapt if necessary with AN fitting/hose. I’ll be happy to report what I find to save others if it is indeed a bad idea and proves harmful to the b202 turbo in my ‘88

·
Registered
287 Posts
The turbo is going to cook your oil without additional cooling in the summer. Be careful and ready to shut it off and roll to a safe parking spot.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine were leaking horribly and probably have been for years before I got the car this past November, so much so that that area of the engine bay paint is probably ruined.Rather than replace them I am going to cap the inlet/outlet off and watch temps via a Marshall oil temp gauge and adapt if necessary with AN fitting/hose. I’ll be happy to report what I find to save others if it is indeed a bad idea and proves harmful to the b202 turbo in my ‘88
Thanks, I would like to know if you have success with that. I put everything back together yesterday. Waiting on a voltage regulator to arrive so I can put the alternator back in and see if my hose repair worked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The turbo is going to cook your oil without additional cooling in the summer. Be careful and ready to shut it off and roll to a safe parking spot.
I’ve seen conflicting info on this and figured I would test for myself. There is plenty of recorded applications (not specific to our cars) that are running larger turbos with no oil coolers and run normal temps for their chassis.

I’m by no means saying you are wrong as you very well could be right, and I will be closely monitoring the oil and be ready to pull aside if it reaches a threshold, but as I couldn’t find any definite info and there was logical explanations for both sides of the argument I felt I was in the perfect opportunity to find out for myself.

if it is feasible it cleans up the passenger side of engine bay immensely by losing the lines routed in open space and the oil cooler!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My original voltage regulator order was lost in shipping so after a week of waiting I ordered another from a different vendor it arrived in three days. Put everything back this morning and no oil leaks !

·
Registered
24 Posts
My original voltage regulator order was lost in shipping so after a week of waiting I ordered another from a different vendor it arrived in three days. Put everything back this morning and no oil leaks !
yes! I hope the good turnout spreads my way.

I got my valve cover and bits back from powder and spent an hour and a half trying to install the valve cover gasket wrong only to flip it and install it correctly in five minutes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes! I hope the good turnout spreads my way.

I got my valve cover and bits back from powder and spent an hour and a half trying to install the valve cover gasket wrong only to flip it and install it correctly in five minutes.
I hope that you have success on your experiment as well. I would like to powder coat some items on my cars. Hopefully you will post a pic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts