SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
my 87's transmission died and the engine is in need of a rebuild.how hard would it be to stuff an entire engine and tranny form a 1990 into it.also what would be the best ecu to put in,keeping in mind im planning on moding airflow in and out.might even slap on a turbo with FMIC and run 7 psi...another thing how hard is it to take reverse gear from 87 and put it into the 90's box?Reverse on 90 is missing teeth.

edit: both cars are N/a

·
Registered
528 Posts
It wouldnt be any harder than just plain transmission swap, but i dont know about replaced the reverse gear... Im pretty sure the 90 isnt a 2.1, so you might want to use that (the '90) ecu as its got better fueling through the range. Other than that... thats alot of work if you still plan on trying to mod it. If you wanted to turbo it, why didnt you buy a turbo?

-Alex

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pay extra attention before considering swapping the reverse gear ....

1990 - 1993 the main cluster, reverse and reverse idler have different gear pitching

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to have a turbo but saabs around here are about as rare as diamonds or gold.finding a turbo car thats sutable for parts is impossible.I know of one turbo withing 50 miles.its a white 85 four door.owner had it for sale for the not to sweet price of $2,000.so anyway will 90's reverse mesh with 87 with number 6 gears?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
On the 900 5-speed transaxle, there really isn't any different gearing ratios. The "type 5, type 6 etc" gearsets are actually the primary chains on the front of the box. The gears themselves should be identical.

The size of reverse might be different. Why not look into doing the reverse modification on the 1990.

A 1990 engine is a B202. Just bolt in the thing, and don't bother changing the injection system. Take the intake manifold you have and stick it on the longblock.

What is bad about the 1990?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I agree with 900t that replacing your dead engine with a good short engine (block-plus-head) is the best way to go. Retain your existing manifolds, ancillaries and electronics (including ECU).

All engines from 1990 back are 2.0 liter; the 2.1 appeared in 1991. This gives you a lot of choices:)

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 90 was in an offset crash that took out the left headlight and tweaked the hood.the 90 is a base model,that is oxidized red.the 87 is an S and most things work and it has a spoiler:cool: Is that reason enough? anyone want/need the interior of the '90 or the shell?I dont have the space for 2 car sized objects.Im also gonna take the hubs and rear handbrake

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the reverse mod is that where I take reverse out of 87 and put it into the 90's gearbox?will everything fit?the 1990 is $400 I dont want to waste that for nothing.if anything I will only have a 2 days to get everything taken apart and then swaped over,at the max I have 3 days.thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts