SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its the general consensus that the widest wheel for 9-5's is an 18x8 with a et35 offset, and I know running a staggered setup is counterproductive performance wise on a FWD car, but if i was interested in doing so, would I have any problem running a 9" wheel in the back of a 2007 9-5? I understand the width restriction in the front because the wheel would rub the fender lining when turned, but the back shouldn't have this problem, correct?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I know its the general consensus that the widest wheel for 9-5's is an 18x8 with a et35 offset, and I know running a staggered setup is counterproductive performance wise on a FWD car, but if i was interested in doing so, would I have any problem running a 9" wheel in the back of a 2007 9-5? I understand the width restriction in the front because the wheel would rub the fender lining when turned, but the back shouldn't have this problem, correct?
Go with an 11 inch wheel. If you're going to screw up the handling and induce understeer by widening the rear track, why not just go totally for looks?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with an 11 inch wheel. If you're going to screw up the handling and induce understeer by widening the rear track, why not just go totally for looks?
"I know running a staggered setup is counterproductive performance wise"

I know I'm not a long term member and I know I may not be suggesting something that you all approve of, but there's no reason for that.. I asked a question, I just wanted a helpful answer

·
Registered
11,140 Posts

I know I'm not a long term member and I know I may not be suggesting something that you all approve of, but there's no reason for that.. I asked a question, I just wanted a helpful answer
If you're not concerned with the car plowing into corners, you can run whatever width you want. If you're lowered, you can just roll the fenders.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're not concerned with the car plowing into corners, you can run whatever width you want. If you're lowered, you can just roll the fenders.
will a one inch difference in width make that large of a difference though? and with a 38 offset that sticks the wheel only about 13 mm further than a 18x8 et38 wheel, and since these are in the rear I would imagine there is enough room for these to still be tucking

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The car's track is set up to be slightly wider in the front than in the rear to offset some of the inherent understeer.

EDIT: the later models have equal track front and rear....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
will a one inch difference in width make that large of a difference though? and with a 38 offset that sticks the wheel only about 13 mm further than a 18x8 et38 wheel, and since these are in the rear I would imagine there is enough room for these to still be tucking
Form and function, mate.

Put the wide ones in the front. Extremely badass, will throw your rear around, and people won't be laughing at you...

Ya know?

_benjamin

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Thats just how mike always is. You get used to it after awhile.

I feel like I always say this, but even a couple millimeters make a difference when you are talking about tire/wheel sizes and rubbing. I rub slightly on an 8" wide 235/40/18 and ET35. Which means you are guaranteed to rub with a 9" wide rim and and ET38. There is no way they will tuck under without modification to the rear bumper and fender. Not to mention potential rubbing on your suspension components. Maybe you could stretch a 215 tire on there and some rock-solid coilovers and not rub if thats your thing. Whatever you decide, post pics! Maybe Ill throw one of my summer wheels on tonight and take a pic so you can see first-hand that a couple more mm wide on my setup and it would be rubbing like crazy.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
:cheesy: I'll fess up to that....

I'm pretty merciless toward purely cosmetic mods that actually hurt performance. To my credit, I didn't shout, "That's what Civics are for!"

I feel like I always say this, but even a couple millimeters make a difference when you are talking about tire/wheel sizes and rubbing. I rub slightly on an 8" wide 235/40/18 and ET35. Which means you are guaranteed to rub with a 9" wide rim and and ET38. There is no way they will tuck under without modification to the rear bumper and fender. Not to mention potential rubbing on your suspension components. Maybe you could stretch a 215 tire on there and some rock-solid coilovers and not rub if thats your thing. Whatever you decide, post pics! Maybe Ill throw one of my summer wheels on tonight and take a pic so you can see first-hand that a couple more mm wide on my setup and it would be rubbing like crazy.
^^^^ THIS.

An extreme poke-and-stretch and fender roll might work, but you'd get show car stance that likely wouldn't be practical on the street. You'd take a decent handling sedan and turn it into a tooth-jarring, tramlining slug that would corner like an ox cart.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i cant imagine how bad it would be to drive with a staggered setup like that...even with 8 inch wheels up front. I can totally picture how steering response would be affected and what it would feel like.

While performance is going to take a hit (which isn't good on a car that already has understeer and torque steer issues) i will say that it will probably look pretty cool :cool:.

To the general public that *might* assume these cars to be RWD or even AWD from the factory, it will probably look awesome to them as well. But to the drivers that know a thing or two about saabs, it will probably be a little ridiculous.

BTW: i have 8 inch wide wheels (BBS rk's) and they fill out the well very nicely. it almost looks like i have wheel spacers they stick out so much. albeit i am on 215 tires right now (which i'll be fixing soon), but i'll bet 9 inch rims will stick out TOO much- for my taste at least.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok well I'm planning on running a 225/30 on the fronts so I shouldn't have much if any rubbing with that on a 38 offset I would assume.. How much space do you have from the edge of the back wheel to the fender? Based on a 9" wheel with a 38 offset, I should be only 10 mm further out than you.. In terms of inner clearance, I would be 13 mm further inwards than the 8" wide wheel with a 38 offset, but I'm assuming I have 13 mm of space in that direction to clear the suspension? I'm guessing the biggest problem with rubbing is the fender lining?

I'd be really interested in seeing that pic if you could, thanks, just for a reference. Actually anyone with 8" wide wheels I'd love to see pictures, and if you could provide the offset. I just want to get a reference

·
Registered
516 Posts
While I do agree with most that this mod is rather dumb, I think you guys are overestimating the effect on everyday performance.

Bottom line is, if you don't drive to the traction limit of your front tires, the car will not understeer. Having wider rear wheel will not affect the absolute traction of the front wheel [much]. Again, for everyday driving, as the OP is clearly not interested in performance, you'll be fine.

I don't know if it will rub. Gut feeling says yes, you'll need to mod something to make it fit. You could go out to your car and take some measurements, "just for a reference".

That all said, if you want to make it look like your car is RWD, you should save your effort and get a RWD car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually anyone with 8" wide wheels I'd love to see pictures, and if you could provide the offset. I just want to get a reference
this x2 and

I rub slightly on an 8" wide 235/40/18 and ET35. Which means you are guaranteed to rub with a 9" wide rim and and ET38...
... Maybe Ill throw one of my summer wheels on tonight and take a pic so you can see first-hand that a couple more mm wide on my setup and it would be rubbing like crazy.
Does yours rub because it's 235, or because its 235 on an 18'' wheel? I'm thinking of putting 235/45/17 on my rkII's, but i don't want rubbing. Pics of yours please if you can get to it. Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
i run a 9.5" wheel and dont rub

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
this x2 and

Does yours rub because it's 235, or because its 235 on an 18'' wheel? I'm thinking of putting 235/45/17 on my rkII's, but i don't want rubbing. Pics of yours please if you can get to it. Thanks
he rubs because its an 18 inch wheel with a 35 offset. i think the rk2s are 35 offset also (i have them) although a 235 tire should fit with the 17 inch wheel. ( i hope, because i'm going to buy 235's this month i think)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
he rubs because its an 18 inch wheel with a 35 offset. i think the rk2s are 35 offset also (i have them) although a 235 tire should fit with the 17 inch wheel. ( i hope, because i'm going to buy 235's this month i think)
Well I'm assuming he's rubbing on a 235 cause its an 18" wheel and cause of the offset. 235/40-17 comes standard (on mine at least) and I don't rub at all on aero suspension. Even with a more aggressive offset I can't imagine much rubbing if any with that setup

i run a 9.5" wheel and dont rub
details and pics?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
While I do agree with most that this mod is rather dumb, I think you guys are overestimating the effect on everyday performance.

Bottom line is, if you don't drive to the traction limit of your front tires, the car will not understeer. Having wider rear wheel will not affect the absolute traction of the front wheel [much]. Again, for everyday driving, as the OP is clearly not interested in performance, you'll be fine.
Traction is only a part of the equation. Changes in the rear track affect performance in turns even below the traction threshold.

In most FWD cars the tendency is for moderate to heavy understeer, so the rear track is made narrower than the front to dial out some understeer. Even 5-10 mm makes a difference. The later 9-5s are pretty balanced from the factory, with only mild understeer, so they have equal front and rear track. The 9-3s aren't as well balanced and have more understeer, so they were given a wider front track.

Consider that during a turn, the inside rear wheel is essentially a pivot point, albeit one that's moving due to the rear differential. The location of that pivot point is critical.

·
Registered
263 Posts
here are some pics but you can barely see anything...i will take better ones tomorrow. Im also gonna dig up the specs. i had the rear fenders rolled a little bit and have no rubbing.The wheel is very close to the top spring seat but as long as you have the stick on wheel weights there willbe no problem

·
Registered
152 Posts
^ if you could specs and what are you lowered on?
Second! like wheel width, offset, tire size-

how the car was lowered with what springs-

and finally, How did rolling rear fender go? just BFH and heat gun? I am worried about the fender liner though.. :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts