SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A minivan crossover ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Edmunds InsideLine 9-8X

"The new Lambda-based crossovers will be sold by GMC and Saturn, beginning in model-year 2007. A Saab 9-8X should arrive in 2008, along with a Buick patterned after the Centieme concept, which replaces Rendezvous."

·
Registered
379 Posts
something like this?: http://www.tgcom.it/bin/179.%24plit/orig_C_0_articolo_230892_listatakes_itemTake_2_immaginetake.jpg

http://www.tgcom.it/autoemoto/articoli/articolo230892.shtml

it's the 9x on steroids (and with roof racks).

(the 9x) http://www.edmunds.com/media/2001/frankfurtautoshow/saab.9x/saab.9xconcept.175.jpg

i guess the 9x lines really can be scaled up for suv-type dimensions, atleast from the a-pillar to the back. the front of the car to the front windshield, however, doesn't appear to be elongated enough to represent the 'true' 9x look.

interesting, though. (maybe they'll make the smaller, 9x version and call it the 9-4x. ...plz, no roof racks or an exposed, spare tire.)

·
Registered
379 Posts
i agree with aero1116 and tuusar.

it would be a poor imitation of the 9x. (and...too many big vehicles, anyway. *ducks*)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
well thats a much better looking 9-7x.. i love that photoshop.

But the truth is, Saab is turning into a minivan and SUV company.. look out GMC! :roll: :p

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AHA that could be it ! All crossovers/SUVs shall be even-numbered (4X/6X/8X) while other models shall be the odd-numbered designations (1 ?/3/5/9 ?).

Just a theory.

93Linear said:
replacement for the 9-7x (the platform of which is being retired)???

·
Registered
379 Posts
SaabKen said:
AHA that could be it ! All crossovers/SUVs shall be even-numbered (4X/6X/8X) while other models shall be the odd-numbered designations (1 ?/3/5/9 ?).

Just a theory.
...and a plausible one, at that; even including the 2x (with the other 'evens').

gimme 'odds,' though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would not take this article serious... the platforms I have heard of but a 9-8X :roll: all speculation.

GM just released its plans on less models so this sounds unlikely.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Fla2Cali said:
I would not take this article serious... the platforms I have heard of but a 9-8X :roll: all speculation.

GM just released its plans on less models so this sounds unlikely.
What they annocued was less badge engineering between the Chevy/Pontiac/Buick children where they end up with multiple versions of essentially the same vehicle; but they also announced that they were looking to expand the Saab brand. Also, much like the 9-2x, talk has been around from the beginning that the 9-7x was just a stop-gap entry into the market.

Now ... not trying to say any of this means that there ~will~ be a 9-8x, but I don't think we can use those arguements to rule it out ...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Subaru Partnership?

I believe it was announced that SAAB would be partnering with Subaru on a "crossover" quite a while ago. Is this that vehicle?

When the announcements were coming out regarding the wedding bliss of SAAB and Subaru it was announced that in addition to selling the Impreza WRX as the 9-2X there was to be the 9-6X based on the Subaru Tribeca AND... the two companies were working together on a crossover (as of yet unnamed).

The 9-2X and 9-6X are basically rebadges of Subaru vehicles, but the next generation WRX was supposed to have SAAB input from the ground-up (SAAB intends to continue with the 9-2X even after the next-gen WRX is released) and the 9-6X was supposed to have SAAB "input" as well. The crossover however was supposed to be a JOINT VENTURE between SAAB and Subaru, so I took this as to mean it won't simply be a rebadge or a Subaru design with SAAB "suggestions".

·
Registered
99 Posts
1985 Gripen said:
I believe it was announced that SAAB would be partnering with Subaru on a "crossover" quite a while ago. Is this that vehicle?
The 9-6X is the crossover that SAAB and Subaru will share.... ;)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Fla2Cali said:
The 9-6X is the crossover that SAAB and Subaru will share.... ;)
This is not correct. The 9-6X is the Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV (a "full-size SUV" according to Car & Driver, though it looks like an AWD minivan without a sliding door to me:eek:) that SAAB had some input on. Apparently not enough though as there is word that SAAB was upset that a diesel engine for Europe won't fit in it and SAAB doesn't want the third row seats because they're in a "crumple zone" and are a safety liability. From what I've read nobody but small children would be able to sit in the third row anyway.

SAAB only had "input" on the B9 Tribeca. There was supposedly another SAAB/Subaru project that was supposed to be a "crossover". This one was supposed to be a partnership from the ground-up rather than a rebadge. Remember according to SAAB, future projects are supposed to be SAAB projects, not rebadges.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
TuuSaR said:
I dont live in Amazon, Africa or USA, I dont need crossovers :roll:

We have totally fine roads here...
I don't mean to speak for all Americans, but I think the current craze for SUVs, crossovers, and things like the Volvo XC70 and Audi Allroad, are because many affluent young Americans like to participate in outdoor sports in their spare time.

They believe in order to get their canoe or mountain bikes to that off-the-beaten-path spot they need something with ground clearance and AWD.

These young affluent buyers are the demographic that SAAB and many other car companies are targeting. This is why so many American SAABophiles have been saying for years that SAAB needs to start making AWD cars. Not because AWD is better than FWD, but because most customers perceive that it is and they perceive that they need it. Stubbornness on SAAB's part has kept them out of a very lucrative market in the U.S.

The SUVs and crossovers have nothing to do with road quality. I live in the second largest city in America and my neighbor across the street owns a Volvo XC70. I've never seen a speck of dirt on it. I'm SURE that it's never been off the asphault, but the "look" of it gives the impression that they're the outdoorsy-types. They're not, but that's what it LOOKS like. I'm the SAAB guy in a Volvo neighborhood.

On another note, as I go back and look at archive SAAB press releases it looks as though I was wrong: the partnership with Subaru is just about complete. There was the WRX/9-2X and then there will be the 9-6X (which I'm now assuming is the "crossover" they referred to in the press releases even though it's not a crossover at all). After that I believe that SAAB will provide "input" on the next-gen WRX and use it as the 9-2X. But that will conclude SAAB's partnership with Fuji Heavy Industries, I believe.

·
Registered
418 Posts
1985 Gripen said:
This is why so many American SAABophiles have been saying for years that SAAB needs to start making AWD cars. Not because AWD is better than FWD, but because most customers perceive that it is and they perceive that they need it. Stubbornness on SAAB's part has kept them out of a very lucrative market in the U.S.
It's more lack of money than it is stubbornness. GM didn't really know what to do with Saab when they owned 50 percent, and after the complete buyout, they were utterly clueless until about the time Bob Lutz got there.

There's some stubbornness involved, no doubt -- but it's easy to be stubborn when you don't have the resources to move where the market is going.

·
Registered
99 Posts
1985 Gripen said:
This is not correct. The 9-6X is the Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV (a "full-size SUV" according to Car & Driver, though it looks like an AWD minivan without a sliding door to me:eek:)
The B9 Tribeca is about the same size as the X5 and RX330, that is in no way a full size SUV. Car and Driver isn't too acurate...

What do you consider a crossover? I though crossovers were basically similar in shape/versatility to SUVs but were car based and way better on-road (ex. X5, FX, RX330, XC90, Highlander, Murano, CR-V, Escape, etc)...

Also, I don't think SAAB should even consider anything like the Audi Allroad and Volvo XC70. The Allroad got discontinued because of awful sales numbers and is being replaced by the Q7, X5 competition but with 7 seats.Volvo barely sales any XC70s especially after the XC90 was released and that number will shrink even more when they release the XC50 to compete with the X3 and Freelander. Those tall stations may be crossovers too but those aren't the crossovers gettings the sales.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Of course, you mean US sales ... there is a lot of distaste globally for the big "American" SUV. European buyers also want versatility, but they have to contend with ~much~ higher gas prices and (in many cases) smaller roads.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Fla2Cali said:
What do you consider a crossover? I though crossovers were basically similar in shape/versatility to SUVs but were car based and way better on-road (ex. X5, FX, RX330, XC90, Highlander, Murano, CR-V, Escape, etc)...
I believe crossovers are hybrids of a car and SUV (a car on steroids or an emasculated SUV). I think examples of a "crossover" are the Chrysler Pacifica or the Ford Freestyle. I think that AWD wagons (or "estates" to some of you) on steroids (the Volvo XC70 and Audi Allroad) can also be considered crossovers. I don't believe SUVs based on cars are crossovers or you would have to consider the X3 (based on the 3-series), X5 (based on the 5-series), and XC90 (based on the S60) crossovers. I believe those vehicles are SUVs.

Fla2Cali said:
Also, I don't think SAAB should even consider anything like the Audi Allroad and Volvo XC70. The Allroad got discontinued because of awful sales numbers and is being replaced by the Q7, X5 competition but with 7 seats.Volvo barely sales any XC70s especially after the XC90 was released and that number will shrink even more when they release the XC50 to compete with the X3 and Freelander. Those tall stations may be crossovers too but those aren't the crossovers gettings the sales.
I'll have to take your word for it, but I see A LOT of XC70s in the area I live in (which is weird in itself). I'm surprised to read that the XC90 is taking sales away from the XC70, but I guess it makes sense. I liked the Audi Allroad, but it was overpriced. It did have some nice features, like the four-position suspension that auto-adjusts based on speed (it's higher when you're driving slowly and lower when you're driving fast). But as I mentioned before, my taste isn't exactly mainstream. I always thought SAAB would do well to make a FWD version of the XC70 out of a 9-5 SportWagon. But there's no point if there's no market for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts