SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to an article in yesterday's NY Times about GM's future stragegy, Mark LaNeve had said in a recent speach that "...Cadillac and Chevrolet would be the only GM brands to offer a complete lineup of cars and trucks, while the six other brands sold in the United States (Pontiac, GMC, Buick, Saturn, Hummer and Saab) would focus on varying market niches. No more, Mr. LaNeve said, would the company produce the same basic vehicle for all four or five of it's brands, diluting all their identities"

If I think about the market niche that Saab would fit, luxury SUV doesn't come to mind. Cadillac allready has two of their own. Chevrolet will most likely continue to offer a more standard SUV, and GMC may still offer an upscale SUV as well. IMO it doesnt seem to me that the 9-7X is going to be arround for too long... Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 9-7x isnt going to hang around forever in its current form, but a Saab SUV of some sort is a definate for the rest of the companies life. There are too many drivers who love SUV's to not offer something for that market.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My dealer, who has also become a good friend, tells me otherwise. He was at a meeting recently (in Atlanta I think) where the next few years of Saab models were laid out. Apparently the 9-7 and the future 9-6? (Tribeca) will both be offered as they are different vehicles - one a true truck and the other a crossover. All that could change with GM's fortunes but that was the plan given.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
I can see that. I think it's important once Saab designates a new model line moniker that it sets the layout of the "food chain" for the entire product line. Especially with limited digits (1 to 9) to work with, Saab has to carefully decide where models are positioned and how they will be perceived.

As mentioned in a recent story (below) about GM's plan to increase Saab's range to seven models, that leaves four holes: 9-1, 9-4, 9-8 and 9-9 to fill :D

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51626

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SaabKen said:
I can see that. I think it's important once Saab designates a new model line moniker that it sets the layout of the "food chain" for the entire product line. Especially with limited digits (1 to 9) to work with, Saab has to carefully decide where models are positioned and how they will be perceived.

As mentioned in a recent story (below) about GM's plan to increase Saab's range to seven models, that leaves four holes: 9-1, 9-4, 9-8 and 9-9 to fill :D

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51626
That sounds like it makes sense... Chevy and Caddy go their respective ways, each with a full portfolio of vehicles. Then take Buick, GMC and Pontiac which are three divisions with very different identities and offerings and put them all under one roof.

So I guess that leaves Saab as GM's answer to the upperscale european market. Maybe a Saab SUV makes more sense than I thought. Thinking about it, to survive Saab would bennefit from a lineup to compete with Volvo, BMW, etc. The 9.7 fits in there nicely... In hind sight, going back to my thought that GM allready had luxury SUVs in Caddilac's lineup doesn't make sense as I don't know that the same guy looking at a X5 would consider an Escalade. The Escalade looks nice inside and out, but IMO handles like the old landscaping truck I drove when I was in highschool, not quite on par with the X5. Now if Saab had a 9.7 more like the X5 or XC90, and less like a Trailblazer....

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I was thinking GM will let each line have ONE SUV and GMC will get the rest.

Just guessing, though.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
what the guy in the article was trying to say is that GM is going to try and stop the badge engineering by no longer offereing a buick and pontiac model for every chevy they make.

i see the 9-7X becoming more of a cayenne/ range rover sport competitor but for a much better price and it'll probably be based on GMs replacement platform for the envoy

·
Registered
124 Posts
squishmann said:
i see the 9-7X becoming more of a cayenne/ range rover sport competitor but for a much better price and it'll probably be based on GMs replacement platform for the envoy
The Trailblazer SS or maybe even the "9-7 Aero" :cheesy: would fit into this niche.

·
Registered
121 Posts
GIR said:
That sounds like it makes sense... Chevy and Caddy go their respective ways, each with a full portfolio of vehicles. Then take Buick, GMC and Pontiac which are three divisions with very different identities and offerings and put them all under one roof.

So I guess that leaves Saab as GM's answer to the upperscale european market. Maybe a Saab SUV makes more sense than I thought. Thinking about it, to survive Saab would bennefit from a lineup to compete with Volvo, BMW, etc. The 9.7 fits in there nicely... In hind sight, going back to my thought that GM allready had luxury SUVs in Caddilac's lineup doesn't make sense as I don't know that the same guy looking at a X5 would consider an Escalade.
Actually you are pretty accurate. Wagner in a statement to stockholders mentioned very similar product plans. Chevrolet and Saturn will remain stand alone dealerships. Pontiac, Buick, and GMC will be housed together and Cadillac, Saab and Hummer (as premium brands) will be owned by the same owner although they may have the same or different locations. Thus we have a glimpse of the brand strategy unfolding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts