SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106076

The Buick Rainier, Saab 9-7X and Isuzu Ascender SUVs will be phased out, though Saab is having second thoughts about killing off the just-introduced 9-7X so quickly.
Think we all questioned Saab's need for two SUV's in the same price range that were basically the same size. Wish they would have just skipped the 9-7X and worked more the 9-6X more :confused: So wave good-bye in '08

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, any rumors/news we get about Saab/GM's plans I now take with a few grains of salt ..... that is, I don't believe nuthin' 'til I see it with my own eyes (or at least seen by others on SaabCentral).

I suspect 9-7X will live on for a while yet. Even with gen-II, they can make it even more Saab-like without throwing tons of R&D monies at it and still make a healthy margin on each one. As long as the competitors have their respective X5/ML/MDX/Q7/XC90/FX45 yada ..yada..yada, there'll be a place for the 9-7X to be. Imagine having a nice turbo'd I-6 with a 6spd manumatic in the next version ? :cool:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Agreed, Ken. They've poured whatever funds they had into it. As long as the interest is there (and the margins), I think they'll run with it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Generally, I'm OK with these early rebadges knowing they'll get more SAAB infusion as they age. I like a well-developed car. I may never want a 9-7x, but I can imagine a Saab truck/suv that would compare well with those from BMW/Volvo/Lexus in a couple of years. I hope they find a unique way of doing it, though. I personally think the curent Volvo range is attractive, but the marque is not me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not surprised, barely any luxury marque sells midsized SUVs that are truck based. Truck based SUVs don't compare on road at all, they're old school. Even lincoln is replacing the Avaitor next spring with Mazda6 based crossover. I really think the 9-7X is actually a decent SUV but when compared to the others in its class it doesn't stack up what so ever. The 9-6X will compete way better and will fit the SAAB image more than any truck based SUV ever could and GM probably already knows this.

·
Registered
302 Posts
squishmann said:
they'd be stupid to can the 9-7X. make it bigger sportier
Agreed, but they'd be stupid to continue to develop it on the current platform, the technology underpinnings of which are pretty old. I think we can expect to see a vehicle that looks like and is marketed as a continuation of the current 9-7, but with better engineering.

'Sporty'? Seems like everybody describes all their vehicles as 'sporty' any more, so much so that the word's almost lost any real meaning. So yeah, sporty we'll definitely get, whatever that is.

'Bigger' would probably be a big mistake. First of all, the 9-7 is already stupid big IMO, like most SUVs for most people. There are bigger vehicles out there for that tiny percentage who really need one, but Saab's expertise and therefore market value is in expertly-engineered, agile, hip personal transport-- they want to stay in their end of the market, not cater to every possible size and config of vehicle. It doesn't pay to chase every market when there's the rest of GM to cover them. Having every division try to hit every market is a major reason GM's in trouble today.

And, if gas keeps getting more expensive like it has been, the current SUV segment's going to keep shrinking, or at least the vehicles will. The smart money right now is on the so-called 'crossover' vehicles. Whether Saab will need both a 9-6 and a 9-7 remains to be seen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts