SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2 years of Swedish study helped me get through about half of it. Basically, he's saying it's a rip-off, to put it bluntly. He stresses the fact that it's nearly twice the price of the TrailBlazer, and he seems to be saying that the most significant difference is the dashboard.

He also says it's unlikely that Americans are going to buy it, let alone Europeans.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A little more translation:

Här är nya bluff-Saab (Here is the amazing new Saab, and in this case, he means "amazing" in a negative way, sort of like, "incredulous" or "unbelievable").

Robert Collin: 9-7X är en simpel kopia (The 9-7X is a simple copy.)

Aftonbladet provkör nya saaben I dagarna lanseras nya Saab 9-7X i USA. Aftonbladets Robert Collin har provkört bilen och spår att den kommer att floppa. "Den är en halvrisig amerikansk truck", skriver han.
Aftonbladet testdrives the new Saab a few days after it was launched in the USA. Aftonbladets Robert Collin has test driven the car and believes it's going to be a flop. "It's a scrappy American truck", he writes.

Liten invändigt.
It's small inside.

Bakifrån liknar den inte en Saab"
From the rear it doesn't look like a Saab.

Stark motor.
Powerful engine.

Saab är en ombyggd variant av Chevrolet Trail Blazer.
The Saab is a different build of the Chevrolet Trail Blazer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
More:

Startnyckeln sitter mellan stolarna och mugghållaren kommer direkt från 9-5.
The ignition key is between the seats and the (grill? or dashboard?) comes directly from the 9-5.

Men 9-7X är ingen riktig Saab.
But the 9-7X is not a true Saab.

Aftonbladets Robert Collin har gjort den första provkörningen i svensk press - och fann ett snudd på kriminellt fiasko"
Aftonbladets Robert Collin has done the first test-drive for the Swedish press - and has decided that it's going to be a dismal failure. (or he might be saying that it's "criminal" to see what they've done)

Saab 9-7X lanseras i dagarna i USA som en europeisk premiumbil och är prissatt därefter. Men 9-7X är ingen ny bil. Saab-jeepen är en Chevrolet Trail Blazer - med lite extra lyx.
The Saab 9-7X has been launched recently in the USA as a premium European car with a price to match. But the 9-7X is not a new car. The Saab SUV is a Chevrolet Trail Blazer - with a little extra luxury.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ett lågprisbygge
A low-priced (cheap) construction

Trail Blazer hör till GM:s familj av mellanstora stadsjeepar - lågprisbyggen på ram med stel bakaxel. Priserna börjar strax över 20000 dollar, strax under 160000 svenska kronor.
The Trail Blazer is a part of GM's family of medium-large SUVs - low priced construction with stiff rear axels. (?) Prices start just over $20,000, or around 160000 Swedish Kronor.

Den extra lyxen höjer priset på Saab 9-7X till det dubbla.
The extra luxuries double the price of the Saab 9-7X.

Är bilen värd så mycket? Knappast. Kan man lura amerikaner att betala det priset? Nej, det är inte troligt. Och att sälja bilen i Europa och i Sverige verkar ännu svårare.
Is the car worth so much? Hardly. Will it lure Americans to pay that price? No, it's not likely. And the idea to sell the car in Europe and in Sweden is even more questionable.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooooo ....... he doesn't like it then ? :lol:

Well, 5000 pre-orders is what it is. More orders are prolly being taken every day as we speak. Mr. Collin should remember that Saab IS a division of GM and that Saab may simply not be around in a few years if interim vehicles like the 9-7X don't exist to bring in the customers and the additional dough. Besides, it's not too likely the current 9-7X will be exported to Europe in any great numbers if at all. That's the job of the next real Saab, the 9-6X. ;)

Thanks for the translation, BTW. I didn't want to crank it through Babelfish or the likes where you get a very strange translation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with you, Ken. And although I haven't driven a 9-7X, I have a feeling that I would also agree with Mr. Collin in his judgement that it's just not worth the money.

I'm looking forward to a new 9-3 SportCombi myself. :cheesy:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mister Mark said:
A little more translation:

Här är nya bluff-Saab (Here is the amazing new Saab, and in this case, he means "amazing" in a negative way, sort of like, "incredulous" or "unbelievable").
"Bluff" means "fake" or "phony". So "here is the new fake Saab" is a better translation.

Robert Collin: 9-7X är en simpel kopia (The 9-7X is a simple copy.)
"simpel" in swedish has a different ring to it than "simple" in English, though it's technically the same word. A better translation would be "the 9-7x is a poor copy".

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mister Mark said:
More:

Startnyckeln sitter mellan stolarna och mugghållaren kommer direkt från 9-5.
The ignition key is between the seats and the (grill? or dashboard?) comes directly from the 9-5.
The cup holder.
Aftonbladets Robert Collin har gjort den första provkörningen i svensk press - och fann ett snudd på kriminellt fiasko"
Aftonbladets Robert Collin has done the first test-drive for the Swedish press - and has decided that it's going to be a dismal failure. (or he might be saying that it's "criminal" to see what they've done)
He's conducted the first test drive for the Swedish press, and what he found is a fiasco that's bordering on being a crime (committed against traditional Saab values)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mister Mark said:
Ett lågprisbygge
A low-priced (cheap) construction
More like "a cheap-skate design"

Trail Blazer hör till GM:s familj av mellanstora stadsjeepar - lågprisbyggen på ram med stel bakaxel. Priserna börjar strax över 20000 dollar, strax under 160000 svenska kronor.
The Trail Blazer is a part of GM's family of medium-large SUVs - low priced construction with stiff rear axels.
"Cheapo designs with live rear axles."

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tack sa mycket, enor! My 2 years of Swedish study took place over 10 years ago and so I'm not exactly an expert, but I still enjoy trying to translate Swedish news articles from time to time.

At least I got the general theme correct - Mr. Collin definitely does NOT like the 9-7X. :lol:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Lol! No definitely not! On the other hand, he's publicly stated on several occasions that he hates all things SUV, plus he's always writing bad reviews for all things Saab. So his article is certainly no surprise and not something to be taken very seriously - although he does write in the biggest tabloid in this country, most (all?) people who are the least bit interested in cars consider him a clown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Enor is right. Collin do have a lot of things to say about Saabs. He is not always fair in his judgement, since the poor launch of the "new 900" 1994. He likes to provoke and is really proud of the Swedish heritage (which is good). Unfortunately the time for being proud is over for Saab. Get the the finacials right in what ever way so that there can be a future to be proud of. US- or Korean platforms? I personally don't care as long as Saab lives.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
He clearly has his prices mixed up. The base TB (cloth, no options) $26,465 USD. A loaded TB comes up well past 30k. 40k is hardly 2x as much as a base TB. And in terms of similarly equipped, well, a few of the things you get on the 9-7x you can't even get on the TB (Xenon for example). You also can't get the V8 in the short wheelbase TB. The material quality is also much improved. Overall it is clear he is a Swede in America and has no clue what he is talking about. Though in Sweden I doubt anyone will realize that. Perhaps that is what he is counting on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts