SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the headlight ballast on my 2007 9-7x to clean the connections and see if I can correct the flickering and shutting off of the passenger side low-beam. The wire harnesses, particularly the turn signal wires, are so short that I can't manage to disconnect the harnesses to remove the headlight. Any tricks or suggestions for separating the connectors with little to no room to maneuver? I can loosen the small red tabs on the turn signal connector, but no luck separating the connection. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headlight Removal

Chiller,
Look down at the top of the assembly, toward the rear, you will see 2 metal tabs pointing forward, one on left, one on right. Pull these tabs up to release the brackets. May be stiff, but they'll lift up. Look at the rear of the housing and you'll see rubber knobs or grommets coming through the holes in the brackets. With the tabs pulled up, these grommets can be pulled forward out of the brackets. Pull the headlight assembly forward, free of the brackets, but don't pull too hard or too far as you might damage the wiring harness. You may need to grab hold of the housing and gently work it loose, but it will come directly forward once free. Good luck getting to the connectors if you need to detach them. When the assembly is moved forward, you'll have enough room to remove the lamp housing covers from the back to expose the lamp assemblies if you need to change those.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I want to remove the headlight ballast on my 2007 9-7x to clean the connections and see if I can correct the flickering and shutting off of the passenger side low-beam. The wire harnesses, particularly the turn signal wires, are so short that I can't manage to disconnect the harnesses to remove the headlight. Any tricks or suggestions for separating the connectors with little to no room to maneuver? I can loosen the small red tabs on the turn signal connector, but no luck separating the connection. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
The only way to get rid of flickering in the light is replace the ballast. Been there,done it. Trust me. Ebay has them for around 85 used. The headlights are the easiest I've ever removed. Pull up on the grey tabs at the rear of headlight housing. remove the side marker light bulb so you can get it out far enough to disconnect ballast plug. Easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Headlight Removal

Tmax,
Thanks for the reply about the ballasts. I thought as much, but am willing to try contact cleaner while I look for replacements. I assume the turn signal lamp assembly twists to remove it from the housing? The harness is so tight I can only twist it about 20 degrees. How far does it need to go before it releases from its mounting position, 45, 90?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Chiller,
Look down at the top of the assembly, toward the rear, you will see 2 metal tabs pointing forward, one on left, one on right. Pull these tabs up to release the brackets. May be stiff, but they'll lift up. Look at the rear of the housing and you'll see rubber knobs or grommets coming through the holes in the brackets. With the tabs pulled up, these grommets can be pulled forward out of the brackets. Pull the headlight assembly forward, free of the brackets, but don't pull too hard or too far as you might damage the wiring harness. You may need to grab hold of the housing and gently work it loose, but it will come directly forward once free. Good luck getting to the connectors if you need to detach them. When the assembly is moved forward, you'll have enough room to remove the lamp housing covers from the back to expose the lamp assemblies if you need to change those.

thanks NorthEastSteve, I will have a look at it this weekend and see if I can remove it ... up to now, the truck has been under warranty ( I bought extended bumper bumper when I got it new ) and they replace bulbs for me for free (tho on the work order they charge .35 hour to do it)

Now that it is no longer under warranty (ended Feb 2014) and I now have a bulb out I had no idea how to remove it.

Thanks !

·
Registered
613 Posts
Tmax,
Thanks for the reply about the ballasts. I thought as much, but am willing to try contact cleaner while I look for replacements. I assume the turn signal lamp assembly twists to remove it from the housing? The harness is so tight I can only twist it about 20 degrees. How far does it need to go before it releases from its mounting position, 45, 90?
Are you serious? You want instructions on how to remove a light bulb? if you're that mechanically inept you might want to just take it to the mechanic.:eek:

·
Registered
613 Posts
thanks NorthEastSteve, I will have a look at it this weekend and see if I can remove it ... up to now, the truck has been under warranty ( I bought extended bumper bumper when I got it new ) and they replace bulbs for me for free (tho on the work order they charge .35 hour to do it)

Now that it is no longer under warranty (ended Feb 2014) and I now have a bulb out I had no idea how to remove it.

Thanks !
C'mon, my 7 year old has more mechanical ability. You's guys are scary.:p

·
Registered
507 Posts
C'mon, my 7 year old has more mechanical ability. You's guys are scary.:p
LOL !!! and this may be why some peeps don't participate in forms to get pissed on for asking something simple from people who have done it before ... are you happy now, your d!ick is now a whole 1/8th of an inch bigger ...

I seriously never messed with my truck before this year since the warranty is now up ...

But having said that, I can strip down my race bike and have it apart to reinstall a new clutch within a few hours...

back to the topic at hand...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tabs that secure the headlight - menitioned above. Lift them up to get the plug aligned with the hole so you can pull them forward (towards you).

This still doesn't leave much room for disconnection the clips. Rather than undo the clips when in that close, it's easier to remove the bulb connections from the assembly, so you can pull it out. Its about a 1/3 turn, pretty tight.

As for the flickering light, I had that, and it was fixed by a simple bulb change. I have the stock ballasts still in place.

·
Registered
613 Posts
LOL !!! and this may be why some peeps don't participate in forms to get pissed on for asking something simple from people who have done it before ... are you happy now, your d!ick is now a whole 1/8th of an inch bigger ...

I seriously never messed with my truck before this year since the warranty is now up ...

But having said that, I can strip down my race bike and have it apart to reinstall a new clutch within a few hours...

back to the topic at hand...
Peeps? Those sugar coated easter candies? What? Did someone get his little feewings hurt? Awe. So Sorry.

I live in Texas and I believe in telling it like it is. Political correctness is a virus infecting this world and I ain't with it. So Get over it. Like I said, if you don't know how to change a bulb you might want to just take it to a shop, but you have mechanical ability if you can work on your bike. So all isn't lost. You can figure it out. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts