SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to find and eliminate what I’m thinking is a drive-line groan/whine in my wife’s 83K mile ‘05 Linear, I’m stepping through the process of changing all the drive-line fluids (i.e. front diff., transfer case, transmission and rear diff.) for the second time in the truck’s life.

The transfer case was done a few weeks back with no issue using AC Delco Auto-Trac II ... easy enough to find and procure.

The transmission is still upcoming and I’ve got an ample inventory of AC Delco ATF Type III (H) ... that too was easy enough to find and procure.

The front and rear differential 75W-90 to the GM spec. ... not so easy to determine what’s appropriate, let alone find it.

After reading a good number threads on a few GM forums, I decided on the Amsoil Severe Gear synthetic 75W-90.

I also read on those forums that the front diff. in the AWD 4.2 liter Trailblazers holds and should be refilled with 1.7 qts. of new gear oil.

However, and this is the crux of my TMI post ... I drained < 1 qt. and refilled with one qt. nearly exactly.

Is the drive-line in the Trailblazer not the very same as that in the 9-7 or perhaps did a GM know-it-all misspeak?

·
Super Moderator
1,538 Posts
Back when I had my ‘05 5.3 I changed my diff oils to Royal Purple and it solved my groan/chatter issues in tight parking maneuvers. I only used about 1 quart per diff too if memory serves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts