SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could help me out here. It's a 2001 9-5 2.3 automatic. I've recently had a shop do my subframe bushing and I did all 4 motor mounts myself. When the car is in drive and stopped, so when I'm at a light, I feel as if there is still an inappropriate amount of poor engine dampening present in the cabin. It's even more noticeable when I have the AC on since this puts a load on the engine. Am I missing something?

I did the rear mount, the bull horn mount, the battery tray mount, and the torque rod. The rear mount is OEM, the battery tray mount is ProParts, the bullhorn mount is Hutchinson, and for the torque mount I used a Powerflex yellow bushing for the large end and didn't replace the small end since it looked very good. Am I missing something here? There is still a lot of shaking in the cabin when I'm at a stop light. Also when shifting from D to R and back to D I can hear clunking going on as the transmission shifts.

The car is smoother than before but I was expecting a lot more. I have never driven a brand new Saab so I have no idea what to expect. Did these cars always shake even when new? This is really frustrating me because I literally just spent a thousand bucks trying to resolve this issue, yet it's still present.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Much has been written here. It's an unfortunate characteristic of this model with the automatic trans. Many of us have done the same with the same disappointing results. I've also changed trans fluid with no difference. Some have said that poly bushings make it worse. If you have access to Tech 2 you can adjust idle speed in 50 rpm increments but it may not solve it.

I will sometimes put my car in neutral at a long traffic light or allow the car to creep slowly forward which lessens the effect.

Edit: For what it's worth, the vibration seems less in warmer temps as the mounts may soften a bit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
try to remove the torque mount just for testing. The stiff powerflex bushing is way harder than the original bushing which has some free space to allow movement in both directions and even adjust the position of the bolt to center the bushing. With powerflex there is only a single position and all vibrations will directly be forwarded.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Pro parts are crap. Poly anything in mounts is fatal Balance the engine assembly check the WIS. Up the idle a hundred rpm I think EDT said that worked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Short accessory belt or long belt....? the long belt routing apparently can make some difference??

I uped the revs and that certainly helped, but still didnt quiet everything down... our current 9-5 is a 2004 but its running a short belt, bypassing the center idler pulley.... so i cannot speak to the amount it may help.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Saab did put out a TSB at one point that said not to use the short belt on a 9-5 because it could cause unwanted vibrations. My 9-5 had the short belt when I bought it, so I replaced the center idler and put a long belt back on, but I didn't notice much of an improvement, if any.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saab did put out a TSB at one point that said not to use the short belt on a 9-5 because it could cause unwanted vibrations. My 9-5 had the short belt when I bought it, so I replaced the center idler and put a long belt back on, but I didn't notice much of an improvement, if any.
I may have to check this out. Actually I just bought a belt. I picked one off eeuroparts. It's made by continental but not sure if its long or short. I had no idea the accessory belt could make a difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try to remove the torque mount just for testing. The stiff powerflex bushing is way harder than the original bushing which has some free space to allow movement in both directions and even adjust the position of the bolt to center the bushing. With powerflex there is only a single position and all vibrations will directly be forwarded.
Right, but the OEM bushing is so flimsy. I bought the powerflex so that it won't break as often. I think the OEM torque rod is a 20k mile service item from my experience.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
No doubt in my mind EDT was on to something when he bumped idle revs just a little. Makes a big difference. Makes sense witnessing your think about it

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
I do not believe it does
It's more supposed to be noise from the belt vibrating, than actual vibrations you can feel. I may have heard it on my 900 which had the short belt as a shhhhhh sound at around 1500 RPM. The 9-5 with the long belt and middle pulley doesn't do that.

No doubt in my mind EDT was on to something when he bumped idle revs just a little. Makes a big difference. Makes sense witnessing your think about it
I haven't done that on my engine. It does vibrate at idle in neutral some, anyway. The 2.0 Ecotec in the NG9-3 idles much, much more smoothly.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
The 2.0 in my 1997 900 idles infinitely more smoothly than the engines in either of my 9-5s. The 900's engine in general is a lot smoother. I had read once in Road & Track or Car and Driver that 2 liters was the largest anyone wanted to go on a 4-cylinder engine for years because of vibrations.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Having recently replaced bushings, mounts, drive axles, and a new engine, vibrations have slightly improved but not a whole lot. The car is reminding us that it is alive. It's a feature :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts